Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:45:31 AM EDT
Hi everyone -

I've recently assembled an AR pistol using a Yankee Hill upper and a Young's Knurled free float.  The upper came assembled. (picture below)

Ultimately, I'd like to replace the upper with a Troy rail.  Based on a quick examination of the upper, I'm not sure how it disassembles.  Logic indicates that the tube threads on to the barrel nut, since the gas block is not accessible with the FFT in place.  Is that accurate?

How is this best accomplished?  With a strap wrench?  I'm also assuming that this is a standard thread and would be removed by turning it CCW, right?  

Is it possible that it was assembed with locktite?

Andy

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/318219000/318219915/pix656059892.jpg
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Whoops -

Sorry.  I thought that was my upper.  It must be a stock photo.

Mine does NOT have a notched jam nut.  Just a small (~1/8" thick) flange on the barrel nut.

I will try to post pictures later..

Andy
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
*Sigh...

I suck.  I went and put it into an action block and was able to break it loose with just hand strength.

I've never seen one that didn't have some sort of jam-nut or set-screw - this one does not.

Learn something new every day.  I guess now I HAVE to buy that Troy rail today.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Andy
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top