Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 11/23/2012 6:45:31 AM EST
Hi everyone -

I've recently assembled an AR pistol using a Yankee Hill upper and a Young's Knurled free float. The upper came assembled. (picture below)

Ultimately, I'd like to replace the upper with a Troy rail. Based on a quick examination of the upper, I'm not sure how it disassembles. Logic indicates that the tube threads on to the barrel nut, since the gas block is not accessible with the FFT in place. Is that accurate?

How is this best accomplished? With a strap wrench? I'm also assuming that this is a standard thread and would be removed by turning it CCW, right?

Is it possible that it was assembed with locktite?


Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:21:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:23:07 AM EST
Whoops -

Sorry. I thought that was my upper. It must be a stock photo.

Mine does NOT have a notched jam nut. Just a small (~1/8" thick) flange on the barrel nut.

I will try to post pictures later..

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:34:12 AM EST

I suck. I went and put it into an action block and was able to break it loose with just hand strength.

I've never seen one that didn't have some sort of jam-nut or set-screw - this one does not.

Learn something new every day. I guess now I HAVE to buy that Troy rail today.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Top Top