Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2007 1:12:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 7:46:04 AM EST by MiG-21]
Found an Armalite M4 flattop for $800, and a Colt SP1 for $900. Which is a better deal? Also, I'm left handed, so would the SP1 with no brass deflector be a big deal?
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:15:31 PM EST
I'd say GET THE SP1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But since you're a left hander, it MIGHT be a problem You could always get a brass deflector that attaches to the carry handle, though. If it's in good condition, that is a great price.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:22:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2007 1:30:06 PM EST by RevMetric]
I guess if you're into the historical stuff, get the Colt. If you want more modern, get the Armalite. I don't keep up with the prices on older Colts, but I think you can get an Armalite a little cheaper than $800 if you shop around. I paid $725 shipped for a NIB on EE a couple of months ago.

To answer your original question. I would get the Armalite... but that's just me.

Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:27:39 PM EST
If you ever want to use mil spec pins and parts, DONT get the COLT. Armalite quality is awesome. Some of the SP1s also had a large front takedown pin, then you are really hosed for using other uppers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:29:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:34:38 PM EST
Armalite
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:42:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aim4MyHead:
Armalite over a colt any day. Colt 's just a name IMO.

J

While I may agree with you... If you're gonna say that around here, I hope you are wearing asbestos underwear.

Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:43:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:45:32 PM EST
Seems to be a consensus so far. Is the Armalite barrel chromed? It had no markings on it that I could see (didn't remove the handguards).
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:51:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By MiG-21:
Seems to be a consensus so far. Is the Armalite barrel chromed? It had no markings on it that I could see (didn't remove the handguards).

Armalite barrels are generally chrome-lined. Their EagleArms line is usually chrome-moly. I've had 3 Armalites... all were chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 2:22:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 2:58:22 PM EST
Do you want a 16" carbine or a 20" rifle? I suspect that you will find that the Armalite barrel is indeed chrome lined. How many rds, through the SP-1? The Colt will have a 1 in 12 twist barrel which will limit your choices of bullet weights. The Armalite will likely have a 1 in 9 twist barrel. Having owned both of the mentioned AR's, I would choose the Armalite unless you just want an SP-1 for collector purposes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 3:32:23 PM EST
Isn't someone supposed to say:

GET BOTH

Thought that was a rule around here or somethin'.

My $.02 is get the one that best fits your wants and needs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 3:48:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2007 3:49:28 PM EST by Charging_Handle]
Get the SP1!

Nobody is making those anymore. And $900 is a good price if it's in pretty good shape. On the other hand, the market is flooded with M4 type carbines right now. You can always pick one of those up later. But there aren't going to be any more Colt SP1's made.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 3:55:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2007 4:09:02 PM EST by OyOfMidworld]
dude dont get either of them!! The colt won't be compatable with future BRD episodes, and it will be no good for a lefty. The armalite could be a lemon as the Honorable StickMan stated above. For that kind of money you could buy a nice new set up from any of the above listed retailers. For a completly bad ass left handed AR try the stag arms link. Go to the INDUSTRY forum and visit the ADCO Firearms, Rainier Arms, CMMG inc, and Eagle Firearms web sights.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 4:52:37 PM EST
The armalite based on its a more modern configuration so your getting more for less.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 8:32:08 AM EST
Bump for more answers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 8:48:06 AM EST
Get the SP1 and play with it, then later sell it for at least what you paid for it and spend an extra 300 dollars for a Colt AR.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 8:57:41 AM EST
Don't know a thing about Armalites, but I do know the SP1, 'cause I've owned one since 1972---and I'm left handed on top of it.

To assure yourself of not getting hit w/empty cases, simply spend 4 or 5 bucks on a heavy duty extractor spring from Wolff Springs. It'll trake 5 minutes to install, and changes the ejection angle to straight out to the side.

While the older SP1 isn't as flexible as the more modern flat tops, as others have noted, it's a heck of a good price; you can't lose any money if you decide to peddle it some day, and flat top types are a dime a dozen on the market these days. You can always pick one up any time in the future.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 9:09:57 AM EST
I vote for the SP1

Link Posted: 1/23/2007 9:58:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:
I would go with the SP-1 every time. Armalite seems to have recently gotten better in their quality, but regardless of what people may tell you, Colt QC has been spot on for a long time. The worst thing that most people can say about Colt is that they aren't always pretty, and that they don't seem to always have the greatest attitude towards civilian sales.

Armalite isn't MP testing or proof firing barrel or bolts. No idea if that Armalite is chrome lined on that model. No idea of its barrel material. No idea if its a spec stock.

I'm not saying that the Armalite is a bad weapon, but between two used weapons, I'll go with the Colt.

The only issue I could see would be that you may want a flattop...

+1 on the SP1, Colt flattop uppers are available but a little pricy and hard to find.

Link Posted: 1/28/2007 6:50:26 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:45:40 AM EST
Well, I went with the Armalite, because someone got there ahead of me and got the SP-1. So far, the Armalite is a great shooter. Accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:58:37 AM EST
My 2¢
If you want a shooter and are on a budget go with the Armalite.

If you are a collector go with Colt. If you want to shoot your gun, and later sell it for more than you paid for it, go Colt, but bear in the mind the shortcomings, as Colt altered their AR15s trying to appease the anti-gunners. Some of the after-market accessories may or may not fit, for example colt uses a different OD hammer pin from the mil-spec.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:09:18 AM EST
Too late now but I would have went with the Armalite..
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:12:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By MiG-21:
Well, I went with the Armalite, because someone got there ahead of me and got the SP-1. So far, the Armalite is a great shooter. Accurate and reliable.

pics ?

Mike
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:43:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aim4MyHead:
Armalite over a colt any day. Colt 's just a name IMO.

As much as I hate Colt's civilian policies, I have to strongly disagree with the comment above. If anything, "Armalite" is just a name. Has nothing to do with the original Armalite (though they act like it does). Plus Colt's consistency and QC FAR, FAR surpasses Armalite and in my own experience, I have had NO DOA Colt products...Armalite? More than a handful.

Well at least you got one that works.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:58:45 PM EST
If the Armalite is brand new it comes with a lifetime warranty. I purchased on myself recently and the fit, finish, trigger pull and accuracy of the rifle are outstanding!!
Top Top