Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2005 6:34:58 PM EDT
I purchased a forward handgrip because I see alot of people using them and wanted to give it a try. I am not sure I like it. What do you all feel is the advantages and disadvantages of this tool.
Pat

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Easier to control the rifle during rapid fire.

Main one is it gives you more support for extended operations. Allows you to distribute the weight a lot better.

And, its a great assist for bump firing
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You've been around here long enough to know that everyone loves them.  As an alternate opinion I'll say I dumped my VFG.  I hold the magwell like a big VFG on my m4.  When I used one I preferred the balance and swing when it was mounted aft.  So, to just use the magwell is not a big change in comfort for me.  And its easier for me to brace low over cover with a flat traditional forend.

If you prefer your grip closer to the muzzle, hang a lot of stuff off the front, jam when you put pressure on your mag/well, or are faster and/or more accurate with it.  Then train with it and enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
when the rifle gets hot it is nice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm an old guy but a new user of forward handgrips.
No doubt the rifle is much more controllable offhand.

I was impressed with how much I like it with the bipod from a bench or prone, but I was much more impressed with how effective it is at letting you use the mag as a monopod.  You can steady the weapon for an excellent repeatable sight picture much more easily than without it.

Using a 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR, a 30 rounder as a monopod, and the Dieter grip, I was easily able to semi rapid fire Q3131A into a 4" circle at 100 yards by just centering the top of the TA31 donut on the target.  The gun moves around very little when held this way prone and is great fun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I had not gotten around to trying one till now it just felt different. I think I will keep it though. Thanks for the input.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Great for shooting off hand and for CQB work. The rifle swings much easier. Being that I shoot off a bench a lot I dont use one but when I build a dedicated home defense/SHTF M4 it will surely have one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
easier to control, but it just dosent 'feel' right to me--just unatural

so i dont use it any longer
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
only bad thing is when you let it drop on your sling and it wacks you in the balls. i always do it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
only bad thing is when you let it drop on your sling and it wacks you in the balls. i always do it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
damn dont tell me im the only one that has this happen to him all the time? o well i took my sling off for a while tell my boys recover a bit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont like it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top