Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2003 3:38:21 PM EDT
OK, I got a forward grip for my AR.

What's the intended purpose for the thing?? I'm thinking its prolly really intended for full auto.

Do they really sewrve a purpose otherwise?? What do you guys think of yours??

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert by any means.  I played with mine and played with mine.... and I just could not get used to it.  It seemed to always be in the way, I tried it full back on the RAS, and full forward.  Nothing was comfortable.  Especially when I went to the ground, prone.  Just did not feel right.  I took it off and sold it.  Haven't missed mine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
i love mine, gives me better control
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK, I got a forward grip for my AR.

What's the intended purpose for the thing?? I'm thinking its prolly really intended for full auto.

Do they really sewrve a purpose otherwise?? What do you guys think of yours??

View Quote

Yes, it is really only useful for FA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It is great on semi AND f/a. It gives me a natural grip angle and helps aid in holding for those long shots with a sling.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of troops in pics I've seen from Iraq and Afghanistan use the foregrip. Must be something to it.

I like mine. The broomhandle grip allows for easier lateral movement, kind of like a pivot. The pistol grip-shaped ones tend to lock your wrist into one direction with little comfortable side to side adjustment.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree that they keep your hand in a more natural position, and act as a pivot point.  I love mine for quick bursts, too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend has one on his AR... I take it off and move it to the left side rail. Feels great, reminds me of those MG's in WWII that had the mag coming out the left side of the reciver.. :)
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the main purpose for the Forward grip (Military wise) is to offset the weight of forward accessories and to aid in CQB Full-auto fire. What I've noticed is, folks who were brought up Hunting and plinking as youngsters find the forward grips as awkward (like myself), those who got into shooting later in life and follow these sites, do not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
It controls muzzle rise in rapid fire, not necessarily full auto fire. Most rifles in police and military use have their forearms packed with flashlights and IR lasers. The verticle foregrip places the bone structure of your wrist and forearm in a position that more readily supports a front heavy gun, especially when its raised for long periods of time, such as when you are covering an individual or an area.  It also works well at placing your hand idealy to use side mounted flash lights on rail systems.  It also keeps your hand out of contact with your handguard system when its hot from rapid fire.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Most guys here will have no use for one.  This goes for Muzzle brakes/compensators, lights, rail systems etc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It controls muzzle rise in rapid fire, not necessarily full auto fire. Most rifles in police and military use have their forearms packed with flashlights and IR lasers. The verticle foregrip places the bone structure of your wrist and forearm in a position that more readily supports a front heavy gun, especially when its raised for long periods of time, such as when you are covering an individual or an area.  It also works well at placing your hand idealy to use side mounted flash lights on rail systems.  It also keeps your hand out of contact with your handguard system when its hot from rapid fire.
View Quote

Winner!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, didn’t consider the LEO aspect Lumpy. [:D] But them again most LEO's did not grow up with Firearms either
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally find the fwd. PG hard to get used to, because I grew up practicing the conventional grip, but it is unquestionably more "natural" (for the body) to have the hand in an up/down pos. rather than a turned upward pos. w/ fwd. heavy wepaons.  Wish it wasn't, still don't like PG's up front, but I'll use what's best. Like it or not, I'll get used to it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Im so used to using them now that when I use a gun with a conventional forearm, I find myself searching for the VFG.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The subject of forward grips came up at Gunstock with one of the TIGER Valley instructors during a carbine class.  His opinion was that if you're using the forward grip to control the rifle in FA, you're doing something wrong.  According to him, the hand on the pistol grip controls the rifle; you tuck it into your shoulder, pull it in tight with the pistol grip, and that should control the recoil.  If you start pulling down on the forward grip to control the rifle, you're going to be spraying your shots in a vertical pattern instead of keeping them on target.  

FWIW, YMMV, this is just what the guy said, although he did seem to know his shit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Was curious as well, but figured I had to at least try one.

Personally, I love mine.

The AR15 platform to me has always felt "natural" and ergonomic.

The foreward grip addition, for me, just added to the overall feel of it. I don't own any full auto, but even in  semi-auto rapid fire I still notice it is more controllable.

Even though I am one of those people who was raised shooting more sporting rifles.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most guys here will have no use for one.  This goes for Muzzle brakes/compensators, lights, rail systems etc.
View Quote

WTF??
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I believe the main purpose for the Forward grip (Military wise) is to offset the weight of forward accessories and to aid in CQB Full-auto fire. What I've noticed is, folks who were brought up Hunting and plinking as youngsters find the forward grips as awkward (like myself), those who got into shooting later in life and follow these sites, do not.
View Quote

I must be the exception as I grew up hunting and plinking and love my vertical grip.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Words of wisdom:

Try it!

If you like it, keep it.

If you don't like it, get rid of it.

Any questions?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The subject of forward grips came up at Gunstock with one of the TIGER Valley instructors during a carbine class.  His opinion was that if you're using the forward grip to control the rifle in FA, you're doing something wrong.  According to him, the hand on the pistol grip controls the rifle; you tuck it into your shoulder, pull it in tight with the pistol grip, and that should control the recoil.  If you start pulling down on the forward grip to control the rifle, you're going to be spraying your shots in a vertical pattern instead of keeping them on target.  

FWIW, YMMV, this is just what the guy said, although he did seem to know his shit.
View Quote

Then they have a difference of opinion with the instructors at Gunsite....and Ive HEARD of them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
put one on my M4 clone liked it pretty well seems to point a bit quicker and I seem to pick up the target a lot fast then without it
also great for mounting the pressure pad for my surfire. ;o)
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I use one because I have a bipod on a carbine length handgaurds and there was no room left for my hand when I wasn't using the bipod.

found one for $12.00 at midwayusa and it works just fine...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's my opinion, based on firing a lot of full auto some action rifle.

Firing at a point target should always be done in three round bursts or as close as you can get it. Start low and work up, that way you can see the dirt kick up and you might get the benefit of a riccocet. Start high and if you miss you don't see where the rounds went and your opponent has an opportunity.

For action rifle with an ACOG or red dot, no more elbow hanging out. Everything is tucked in and in this position, the front grip makes a difference. Doesn't feel near as awkward when both elbows are in tight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought forward grips looked silly and would feel akward... then I tried one.  Now I understand.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree with DevL. It took me a long tome before I gave one a try and I love it.

I have two M4's that are about the same weight. One with, and one without. If you switch between the two comming up from a low ready over, and over again, It seems to me that my arm starts to burn sooner, and the rifle feels heaver using the one with a standard M4 HG.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Believe it or not, I actually helped test the M4 for the Marine Corps while I was at Quantico. We tested them with and without the vertical foregrip and we came to the following conclusions.

The vertical foregrip has several benefits.

1. Better control under full auto fire.
2. Better support of the weight of accessories.
3. Considerably faster weapons presentation and aquisition of sight picture.
4. More positive control and weapon retention in close quarters.
5. Better support and delivery of force when center-punching.

The verticl foregrip has only one noteable drawback.

1. Difficult to fire from a fighting hole parapet.

-Requires the shooter to elevate the foregrip above the parapet or hold the foregrip behind it.
-Foregrip prevents lower placement of the forward portion of the rifle as is possible without the grip in place.

So unless you plan on being in a fighting hole for your entire combat tour or around your home or local gun range, you stand more to gain than you do to lose. If it feels awkward to you, spend some time with it and get used to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Wasnt it nice of the squids to figure out SBU Prone? [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:34:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I too find that the foregrip helps me point the weapon more easily.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Bushmaster sells a folding forward grip that I guess could be used during the use of the "fighting hole", and then folded forward again when not.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#30]
with a light mounted just forward of the grip...you just flex the index finger to contact the tail switch......
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bushmaster sells a folding forward grip that I guess could be used during the use of the "fighting hole", and then folded forward again when not.

View Quote

Don't plan on putting anything at all on the bottom rail other than that grip. I have one. It's nice and all but I've taken it off and I don't know if i'll put it back on or not. I'd rather have one that is QD than one that is held on by a cross bolt. That and it was lose on my rail. But that was an easy fix with a piece of bike inner tube between the grip and the rail. But still I want something I can take off quick if I want to. This one took up space, I couldn't mount a QD attachment for a bi-pod and fold up the grip. Oh but one thing I did find nice was if i was shooting with the grip folded up I could shoot rapid fire off hand longer because the grip wouldn't heat up as fast as the hand guards and when shooting prone with a 30rd mag and the grip in the down postion you can use that thing to stabalise the rifle. Or fold it up and shoot off a pack.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm also in the camp of people who thought they looked silly and would be awkward.  I tried out one of the cheap screw on rails with a VFG, and now I'm budgeting for a FF RAS setup. ;)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, I actually helped test the M4 for the Marine Corps while I was at Quantico. We tested them with and without the vertical foregrip and we came to the following conclusions.

The vertical foregrip has several benefits.

1. Better control under full auto fire.
2. Better support of the weight of accessories.
3. Considerably faster weapons presentation and aquisition of sight picture.
4. More positive control and weapon retention in close quarters.
5. Better support and delivery of force when center-punching.
View Quote

....and there you have it. What he said.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

[rolleyes]

Personally, I just havent been able to get comfortable with one, yet. They still feel a bit awkward to me. Time may change that however.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had one  on  my AK-47, now I have one mounted on my Bushy. Havent been to the ranch yet, but think Im  going to like using it.

TG
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
My newest upper came with a KAC vertical grip as part of the deal.  I figured that all this time I was missing something because everyone seems to like vertical foregrips, but after trying one it just did not feel "right."  Feels like it is mounted too low below the bore axis and the weapon seems to handle real funny.  The veritcal grip also happens to be at just the right height with my single point sling that if I was to let the weapon swing free real quick...[nuts]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It is great on semi AND f/a. It gives me a natural grip angle and helps aid in holding for those long shots with a sling.
View Quote

yeah what he said!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top