Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:49:19 AM EDT
I really like the looks of a slickside A1 upper, but am I crazy to give up the bolt assist?  I was looking at Fulton Armorys uppers. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think your crazy, even Eugene Stoner would agree w/ you as the FA is not a necessity.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It depends on what you are using it for.

I agree.  Personally I have had to use the forward assist a few times in live fire exercises so I would want it on any AR I use.  That's just me though.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the forward assist when hunting, because I can follow the bolt with the charging handle then push the forward assist to lock it up if needed, less noise.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the same way.  I don't think I'd give it up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The only known functions of the forward assist are to increase the weight and cost of the rifle.

The US Air Force has been using AR-15s for 45 years and have never had the forward assist on any of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The only known functions of the forward assist are to increase the weight and cost of the rifle.

The US Air Force has been using AR-15s for 45 years and have never had the forward assist on any of them.

Well we all know the Air Force is way smarter the Army! After all it was the Air Force Infantry the said that the forward assist wasn't needed. And you all know the Air Farce is doing all the ground fighting over in Iraq! Some people.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the Air Force Infantry said that the forward assist wasn't needed. Some people.

Actually it was the guy I noted in my thread above that said this, the AF just agreed w/ the guy that designed the AR.

So why bash the AF for taking Stoner's advice?

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Look everyone, the correct response is to buy two uppers, one with FA, and one slickside.  There's no problem that can't be solved by purchasing another gun!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

LOL!

I'll go to the Air Force when I want to know what features to put on a Fighter plane.

I'll ask the Army as to what features a combat rifle needs, they are the people that acutally use the things.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
i hate climbing into deer stands with a loaded AR15.
i also hate loading an AR15 in a deer stand.  
so i use the forward assist to quitely close the bolt.
sure i could use the dished out thingy on the side of the carrier but i have had trouble with it before.
the FA is positive.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#12]
well considering that the AR-15/M-16 was designed with the Air force in mind and was never really intended to be placed in combat in the form it was in with out proper durability testing I think the original was fine...what killed it was when it went from being a tarmac gun to a jungle combat rifle. let me put it this way...if you are going to be shooting the crap out of this rifle (i.e. 600+ rounds per session of rapped fire) when your bolt gets clogged with carbon then yeah you will want  an F/A. if not and you like the look of the slick side then go for it
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I've tried closing the bolt with just the FA. It takes an unholy amount of force to force the cartridge rim into the bolt face if you have an extractor spring stronger than the spring in a bic pen. I could understand using the FA to force the cartridge into a dirty chamber for a combat situation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
MUST...HAVE...BOTH!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top