Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/23/2003 1:01:45 PM EDT
My Forward assist pawl has rounded so that it really doesn't work anymore. Should it do this so soon? I've only used it a few times and this m4gery has only seen 980rds.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:57:47 PM EDT
Apple - it could be the pawl is getting wore on by the bolt carrier as it cycles . From what I understand the forward assist became obsolete when the powders became smokeless and reduced carbon build up it is just still incorporated in the design . Maybe you should get a new plunger or pawl tip or your spring may have went flat got compressed and cannot move anything until its bashed , but a question why would you you be using the forward assist anyway ? I cannot ever recollect needing my forward assist to chamber a round , if carbon is building up on your bolt -perhaps different ammo would be the answer . Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2003 2:41:30 PM EDT by Dano523]
Originally Posted By HAMMERDROP: powders became smokeless and reduced carbon build up it is just still incorporated in the design .[/quote} The gunpowder was always smokeless, it's just that early on, gunpowder was recycled to be used to load military 5.56 ammo (substituted from the original spec'd powder), and the added agent was causing fouling (used to neutralize the powder, just can’t remember the ingredient). As for the pawl tip, sounds like when the FA was installed, the roll pin was binding up the full retraction of the FA. Get a new pawl, and check to make sure that the FA is fully retracting (pin not binding up on the FA cut-away retention slot).
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:08:46 PM EDT
You mean you haven't seen the model 1882 blackpowder AR? Nick
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:45:23 PM EDT
[:O] You mean you actually [u]had[/u] to use it??? And it worked when you did???
Top Top