Which Forward Assist do you prefer ?
Tear Drop or Round ?
Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Round. Just for style...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I prefer the tear drop, My kit came with a round installed.  Eventually, I will change it out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
NONE....DPMS lo-pro upper..it is nice having a smooth side..no FA, no brass deflector (for lefties anyhow, and no dust shield)..i know there are pro and cons for a FA..but this is my theory..if i have to force a round in the chamber by pushing on the FA, then i have bigger problems..say you do force one in that extra lil bit, now ya run the risk of not gettin the round out..i spent 4 years in USMC and have 2 ARs. not once have i ever used or needed to use a forward assist..but if ya have an upper already with this provision i would say round.lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Round, it looks and feels more natural IMHO. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
if you need forward assist it's to late!!!!
SP1 slab side colt, never a problem never.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Try dropping your upper with a tear drop forward assist and see what will happen.
I busted two tear drop on bushie uppers - one fell on a carpeted floor and still snapped off.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Retro look of the Tear Drop, but it does snag on gear a little more.

Forward assist is definitely a must for a home defense rifle incase you want to chamber a round in the middle of the night without compromising your position!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Huh!!???  "splain tha one to me...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
lol..if your AR is for homedefense, there probably is a round in the chamber ready to go..jus drop safety and goto town..seems ya would be wasting time tryin to quietly chamber a round..besides if sumone did home invasion ya probably got the upper hand anyhow, its your space ya know every inch of it..ya do the ole duck and shot technique, and when ya add a surefire, ya really get to have sum fun..lol.but i do understand the point of the FW to silently chamber a round..but to me still not worth it..
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea I think riding the bolt charging handle forward slowly would be the most sure way to guarantee a jam feeding out of the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The only reason I found the FA useful was for standing at the line and being asked to check to see if a round was loaded.  You pull back slightly to see the casing the hit the forward assist to make sure it was properly reseated.  Like everything else, I feel it's better to have and not need than need and not have.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
 Shape doesn't matter to me, used both.  CAR-15 at home has tear drop and issued M4A1 has round.  But I do want a FA for several reasons.  I first learn the value of a FA when deer hunting with a FAL.  Would go up into the blind at O dark thrity with weapon unloaded.  Hoist up rifle and try to silently chamber a round.  Bolt won't close all the way unless under its own tension (noiselly).  Added a Israeli FA to bolt.  

After numberous live combat operations always do a press check before live target engagements.  This to ensure that you are ready for the ulitmite use.  Pull bolt slightly to rear and confirm that you see brass inside chamber, easy forward and give FA a nudge to seat bolt.  

You may never need that FA in 20 years of service of live fires, exercises but that one time Murphy sticks his ugly finger inside that weapon you will be glad that is there and your immediate actions drills have you covered.

You can look at the safety as the transmission of the car and the FA as the seat belt/emergency brake.

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Tear Drop. Both my rifles have it.  I've never broken a FA and I've dropped my rifles onto concreate.

Tear drop is easier to operate with my thumb when I press on it to insure the bolt is closed.

Its also easier on the hand when you are 'tapping' (smacking is a better word) the forward assist with the heel of your palm during S.P.O.R.T.S.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
NONE....DPMS lo-pro upper..it is nice having a smooth side..no FA, no brass deflector (for lefties anyhow, and no dust shield)..i know there are pro and cons for a FA..but this is my theory..if i have to force a round in the chamber by pushing on the FA, then i have bigger problems..say you do force one in that extra lil bit, now ya run the risk of not gettin the round out..i spent 4 years in USMC and have 2 ARs. not once have i ever used or needed to use a forward assist..but if ya have an upper already with this provision i would say round.lol
View Quote

So the whole time you were in the Corp. You never use the FA?  I had to hit the FA every time I charged the rifle. Where were your DI,s.
GG
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the Retro look of the Tear Drop, but it does snag on gear a little more.

Forward assist is definitely a must for a home defense rifle incase you want to chamber a round in the middle of the night without compromising your position!
View Quote

Stupid reason. you should be already chambered.
GG
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
lol..if your AR is for homedefense, there probably is a round in the chamber ready to go..
View Quote

AR15's are not drop safe weapons, MORON!

If you have a live round in your rifle at home then you obviously have had no quality trainging and are an accident waiting to happen!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:

Stupid reason. you should be already chambered.
GG
View Quote

Read above, DUMB SHIT!  Your username sure doesn't ring true.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont drop it. You are the only dumb$hit around here. unloaded guns are useless. So treat your gun like you do another guys penis. dont let it out of you hands. What a cryin a$$ loser.
GG
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]
hey markm,,thanks for the name callin..good quality discussion there..anywho..an empty chamber is a useless firearm, and yes i know they are not dropsafe..therefore, idont intend to drop mine..but of course if ya cant properly handle YOUR firearm , then by all means dont chamber a round..that still has lil to do with a FA..and yes i was in the USMC.they talked bout the FA..but once again , never used it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Me; I have teardrop on the early style clones, and round on the late A2-M4 clones--but NOT THE PIISANT CURRENT ROUND style. It's too small and I can't get a good thumb push on it (I'm left handed and reach around the grip w/my thumb to hit the FA). A lot of folks don't realize there are two different sized round ones, and the early large size is much easier to use.

Colt went to a round style FA for just one reason; it was cheaper to make.  The first round FAs were .75 inches in diameter.  Then, when the reinforced lower A2 type lower was introduced, they found that .75 inches fouled the new lower when used, so they startrd milling a flat onto the inside---which raised the production cost back up to what it had been w/the teardrop.  That's when they dropped the diameter to .6 inches.  My own pieces have the ealy diameter with the flat on the side. They work well, and are as easy to find as the old teardrop.

There, did I get the thread back to the original topic, and off the insult contest[:D]

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
lol..yesssssssss you did..and it wasnt a contest..im above callin ppl names on a message board..too many ppl have "badass syndrome" behind keyboards and i refuse to fall victim..lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#22]
 WOW....[argue]

I like the teardrop because it SEEMS a bit faster to hit and is a bit easier to operate with the thumb.....but I think you should go with A: a part from a reliable supplier and B: whatever you like best.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Never gave it any thought until now.  All of mine have round FA's.  But since no one else has asked the obvious question. I will.  Why was it changed from the original teardrop to the current round shape?  Is/was there a reason, or is the round one just cheaper to manufacture?

DILBERT_556
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top