Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:48:10 AM EST
What I'd really like is a plastic plug to replace the forward assist device. That way I could remove the useless gizmo and still be able to keep dirt from getting in through the empty hole in the receiver. Does anybody make some kind of plug for this purpose?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:09:00 AM EST
I dont think they do but I could be wrong. And I have used mine before so I wouldnt totaly discount it. It might be useless 99% of the time but that 1% you will be glad you have it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:10:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:21:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 4:30:30 AM EST by Rodent]
Sell it and buy an upper without an F/A. Les Baer makes a slab-side flat-top, and there are plenty of old M16 uppers around if you want a carry handle.

I own a half dozen AR's now, and I spent 20 years in the Marines. I've never felt a need to compound a problem by forcing a round into a chamber. If you want to ease the bolt forward for some reason, that's what the little cut-out in the bolt carrier is for - your thumb will fit it perfectly. Eugene Stoner didn't think forward assists were desireable, and the Marines didn't want them, either.

(Sorry, I have a thing about useless protruberances and excess weight on rifles.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:22:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 6:45:56 AM EST by Armson-Oeg]
Home Depot and Lowes has the items pictured above in rubber and in black...They are in the Drawers in the Hardware section

And remember never force a cartridge, eject it......

Added: +1 what Rodent said

Maybe RRA BM CMT could make Upper Rec like this one(a Colt LMG) with no FA

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:18 AM EST
Silly post, the forward assist is a asset,even if it wasnt, they dont get in the way.

Also, to me it doesnt look like a AR/M16 unless it has one.

Field rifles needs a forward assist.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:20:40 AM EST
I agree. I too was in the Marine Corps and am in the Army now. I use a forward assist on occaisions, not to force a round in the chamber but if I ease a bolt back to check if it is chamberd and also when the weapon gets a little dirty sometimes the FA will help seat the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:28:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By TexasGunman:

Also, to me it doesnt look like a AR/M16 unless it has one.


Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:32:10 AM EST
I remember using the thumb trick with my old Colt AR-15 Sporter. You can give it a nudge, but you can't push hard enough to really jam it up bad. Which is how it should be.

I can have something custom-built, sure. . . I'm seeing if somebody can assemble an upper half with a M16 upper receiver for me, and what it'll cost. It's just a nuisance that I can't buy this rig off-the-shelf from one of the *many* companies selling upper halves.
Top Top