Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 12:11:41 AM EDT
Being a nooB, I have no idea what this is used for. I tried searching, but came up with nothing as far as what it's purpose is. thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]
to assist the forward motion of the bolt group.

helps it home.
also to silently send the bolt home with a nudge instead of slamming it home.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
So upon pulling the charging handle, you would slap the FA with your palm to help it "home"?

Is this how it is used?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
to give you something other than the trigger to play with when you are nervous.
sometimes the bolt ont always close all the way, so you use that to assist it in moving forwards.  I personally use it alot- after checking the chamber to be sure a round is seated there is not always enough force in the spring to push the bolt forwards all the way, so yyou use the forward assist to nudge it up...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
When the AR15/M16 first came out it did not have this feature.  Combat operations showed that there required a way to seat the bolt all the way forward (locking it) due to fouling, dirt, etc.  It serves the same purpose if you have a manual bolt action, or a auto with a operating rod (M1, M1 Carbine, M14 etc) where you hit the charging handle to seat.  As mentioned it can also be used when silence is required to chamber a round and to do a press check before you know your going into a hot situation.

CD
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It is also great for "brass checks" when you are making sure you have a round in the chamber.  Some guns that are tight, new or a bit dirty need a little bit of puch to reseat the bolt when you do this.  The FA is perfect for that.

REMEMBER THIS: NEVER HIT the FA, just push it with your thumb lightly.  If, when you are loading from a fresh mag or in the middle of a string of rounds, the bolt will not seat with light pressure on the FA then you need to eject that round and go to the next one.  It ( the cartridge ) may be damaged.  Hitting the FA will jam the weapon by ramming a deformed cartridge into the chamber.  I learned this from experience.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top