Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 5:40:08 PM EDT
Ok,

I understand that forged is better than cast.

How do forged and machined from solid billet compare?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There is really no way to answer your question, without knowing what you are talking about?

Forged is better than cast? Not always... Forged is better than billet machined? In many ways yes... what exactly are you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I am referring to AR lowers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Castings are cheap and weak, forgings are a perfect blend of strength and price, and billet is over kill IMO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorry, I am referring to AR lowers.

safe to say forgings... castings are only as good as the place that does the work, Pinetree certainly makes some nice casted guns and from people I have talked to that are casting Sc doped parts, they are better than forgings... but 99% of the time, I would pick a forging over casting.

Forging often has better grain structure than bilet machine... and if not slightly better is every bit as good for half the cost.

Bottom line, forgings... now, as to who does the finish machine work, well that is another story.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Castings are cheap and weak, forgings are a perfect blend of strength and price, and billet is over kill IMO.

There are a LOT of EA cast receivers that have held up just fine over many years. Billet is theoretically not as strong as forged (at least Troy posted that and his explanation made sense). Billet receivers are kind of cool looking though.

Supposedly, billet has less internal stress then a forging. Seeing as billet starts it's life as a chunk of forged steel or aluminum, that would make sense. However, I've always been under the impression that forgings have a better hardness strength where as billet is structurally superior. I'm not an expert though, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The real question is, does it matter in a lower receiver, which many castings have proven it's not such a big deal (just as you pointed out). With the prices we see between the options, it doesn't make much sense to use anything but a forging, again in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
With the prices we see between the options, it doesn't make much sense to use anything but a forging, again in my opinion.

I agree, in fact EA sells forgings now, because of the demand for forgings by customers.

Do they still offer castings or did they drop them all together?
ETA: A google search shows that they have a small batch of castings left. EA Castings.

I've always been surprised that no one ever made a metal injection molded lower. It's cheaper in the long run and gets rid of many inconsistencies found in gravity castings. Oh well, forgings work fine and billets look pretty slick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top