Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:20:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 8:21:38 PM EDT by EternalVigilance]
If you had to choose between the two, M193 or M855?

And yes, I have read the ammo oracle. Just think of this as sort of a poll with comments. Thanks for any input!

ETA:

I have already invested a lot of dough in my stash of M193, but now my primary is a 1/7 instead of a 1/9. What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:42:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 8:44:20 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
I stockpile a lot of M193 for SHTF, robot aliens(), rainy days etc but since you have a 1/7 barrel why not go one step better and get a better defensive round? The heavier 75gr defensive rounds are designed specifically for your barrel. Personally I tend to favor 75gr Hornady TAP in my 1/7 barrels-it's expensive yes, but defending my family with the best I can find is worth it There are other excellent rounds as well, but TAP is readily available in my area.

It's impossible to have too much ammo.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:47:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 9:05:49 PM EDT by Stickman]

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
I stockpile a lot of M193 for SHTF, robot aliens(), rainy days etc but since you have a 1/7 barrel why not go one step better and get a better defensive round? The heavier 75gr defensive rounds are designed specifically for your barrel. Personally I tend to favor 75gr Hornady TAP in my 1/7 barrels-it's expensive yes, but defending my family with the best I can find is worth it There are other excellent rounds as well, but TAP is readily available in my area.

It's impossible to have too much ammo.

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Ammo3.JPG

I'm also a M193 fan, but like you said, with a 1/7 barrel, why fixate on the 55 grain loads?

I use XM193 and Q3131A for main stockpile, because I have more than one twist rate to contend with. I also have additional ammo for use as needed.

You might find it worth your while to stock one ammo as a main supply, but to still keep some special purpose ammo on hand as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:53:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
You might find it worth your while to stock one ammo as a main supply, but to still keep some special purpose ammo on hand as well.

That's precisely how I do it too. I can't afford to burn through TAP like I burn through M193, so I keep a few cases of TAP for "special" occasions and practice/train with cheaper alternatives like M193 and Fed 55gr FMJBT.

I know there are many pros who advocate "train as you fight" but I just couldn't afford to do that unless I severely curtailed my 2x weekly trigger time. If I used my rifles professionally that would be one thing, but since I don't I think (hope!) I'm doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:07:30 PM EDT
As long as you know your weapon feeds the ammo, and you are confident of your point of aim vs point of impact, you are all set. Its easy for people to say only train with what you carry when they don't pay the ammo bills.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 9:11:56 PM EDT by EternalVigilance]
Is M193 as accurate out of a 1/7 as it is in a 1/9?

I am happy with M193 as far as terminal ballistics. My main concern was whether the M193 might not do as well in the accuracy department out of the 1/7.

BTW, nice stash CJan

ETA:

I will have to try out the 75 gr Hornady TAP. I have heard good things. Only problem is that I don't want to zero my weapon for ammo that I can't afford very much of. I think I'd rather have more M193. I will have to try it out on a Coyote or two though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:17:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 9:18:03 PM EDT by CJan_NH]

Originally Posted By EternalVigilance:
Is M193 as accurate out of a 1/7 as it is in a 1/9?

I am happy with M193 as far as terminal ballistics. My main concern was whether the M193 might not do as well in the accuracy department out of the 1/7.

BTW, nice stash CJan

ETA:

I will have to try out the 75 gr Hornady TAP. I have heard good things. Only problem is that I don't want to zero my weapon for ammo that I can't afford very much of. I think I'd rather have more M193. I will have to try it out on a Coyote or two though.

For what it's worth I can't perceive any difference in accuracy with M193 in either barrel. Although my primary defensive weapons are 1/7 I do have a fair number of 1/9 barrels-particularly since I started collecting and building Rock River ARs a couple of years ago.

The supply of boxed M193 seems to be getting pretty tight-so buy it while you can, my Brother

Its easy for people to say only train with what you carry when they don't pay the ammo bills.....

Aint that the truth
Top Top