Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 1:28:31 AM EDT
Sorry to bug you guys about this again.

I know auto glass is a very difficult barrier for a bullet to penetrate, and bonded bullets are best because they keep the jacket and core together. For these purposes, are Remingtons Core Lokt bullets in say, .308 or 30-06 adequate? If so, would 155, 165, or 180 gr be better?

Thanks!

-K
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:20:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 2:22:13 AM EDT by Charging_Handle]
Haven't heard much said about Core-Lokt rounds in terms of barrier penetration. But I can tell you that Federal Premium line of Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets tend to do a pretty good job of it. For .308 or 30-06, I'd go with the 180 gr (unless you will be using it in an M1 Garand or other rifle where the op rod could be damaged by it).
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:54:14 AM EDT
Yeah, I wish the TBBC's were more available here, but the closest fun shop is 45-60 minutes away + tolls. The nearest place for ammo is the local Wally World. It's actually fairly respectable for ammo selection by caliber, but they don't carry much variety in the calibers they do have. The Remingtons seem like the closest thing to bonded I saw there.

-K
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:00:06 AM EDT
Mail order?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:34:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Special-K:
Sorry to bug you guys about this again.

I know auto glass is a very difficult barrier for a bullet to penetrate, and bonded bullets are best because they keep the jacket and core together. For these purposes, are Remingtons Core Lokt bullets in say, .308 or 30-06 adequate? If so, would 155, 165, or 180 gr be better?

Thanks!

-K

They are not bonded. My guess would be 180 grain, but what are you shooting them in? The platform may dictate which bullet you would use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:06:24 PM EDT
Platform is a remongton 700 ADL, or a Springfield Armory NM M1A.

-K
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:39:19 PM EDT
I know very little (OK, nada) about auto glass penetration. But I have used a crapload of 180 gr PSPCLs on both targets and game. They are really not premium bullets, and jackets are actually quite thin. They will not hold together under conditions that would cause typical Sierra, Speer, Hornaday, and Nosler Ballistic Tips to go to pieces. Like the old Winchester Power Point they are a very small notch above the above mentioned heads.........but not much.

To be direct, I have seen a number of these CLs in various calibers (some were mine) go to pieces on impacting bone. This is no fault of a simple, inexpensive bullet design..............really more of a shooter fault.

I know that Remington has recently claimed to have beefed up the old design. But based on price point.......I have my doubts.

When I think of bonded bullets things like Swift A frame and Sciroccos (?sp), Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, etc. - descendants of the Bitterroot design.

Having said that CLs are about perfect for whitetails and small elk.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:26:00 PM EDT
CL are controlled expansion rnds. with a fairly soft tip. They do have better weight retention and penetration than none bonded bullets but aren't designed as a penetrater for hard objects.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:55:49 PM EDT
Special-K, I'd go with DevL's recommendation and just order some TBBC.
Top Top