Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 9:52:27 PM EDT
Got a 14.5+Phantom that needs glass.

Okay, once my AK gets sold I'll have just about enough for any red dot sight I want. Debating a Reflex (I like no batteries, and I like the Reflex) or Aimpoint there. But that's not the point of this thread. I really really like the compact ACOG though. Some magnification would be nice, but probably not "too much".

So, is a Compact ACOG a "good idea" on an M4? What about a full size? What magnification would you guys who have them recommend? What one "works" with an M4, as I see in the FAQ most ACOG's appear to be designed for full size M16s.

Basically, should I get a reddot, or save up a little more cash and grab some sort of ACOG? And if ACOG, what kind? What about the TA31RCO?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The Trijicon Reflex is somewhat out of favor here due to the ability it has to wash out in some lighting conditions and against certain background colors.  Though it or an Aimpoint...or an EOTech would be more than acceptable for an M4.  

You need to ask yourself what role exactly you want the M4 to fill.  If you're going to engage targets at longer ranges then yes, a full sized ACOG might be the ticket; however, if you're doing mostly close shooting then the dot or compact ACOG would be great.  The compact ACOG wouldn't have too much magnification for shorter ranges, but will still be of use at some distance.  

The compact ACOG that I'm saving for is the TA47R-2.  It has the Red Triangle reticle and is 2x.  I think it offers the best in contrast, speed, and precision rolled into one package.  

YMMV.

Airborne
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
bumpity bump bump bump
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an ACOG on my M4 here in Iraq and I use it for CQB without any problems, it is great to have the ability to not only see farther targets for better shots but for scanning your sector also. Having said that you cant go wrong with an EOTech, or an Aimpoint (Comp M2 or newer) either.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a Compact ACOG on my 16" and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Buy one, you won't be dissappointed.  I have a SPOT Sight on my 7.5" SBR but for the 16" I like the ACOG.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
my m4 has a ta31 on it and the other has an aimpoint
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I run an aimpoint on mine, but I think you'd be better served with the ACOG-it sounds like it's you really want. Unless you're kicking in doors on a daily basis, I don't see how a red dot would be better for what you are doing.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top