Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/18/2005 3:29:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 3:30:39 PM EDT by Njanear]
I was just wondering if the ARMS 40 A2 or 40 L are considered sturdy enough to act as the primary sights for everyday range/field use or should I just consider a conventional carry handle. I am near the point of picking up a STAG upper with one of the above attached; unfortunately, the money I was going to use on an EOTECH has since been redirected to getting motorcycle tires, so it will be at least 6 months before I get the EOTECH. I don't want the rifle to be a closet queen until then and with deer season right around the corner, thought I might give it a try in the woods. Can I expect the ARMS units to be readily serviceable as the primary sights or should I just get a carry handle now and then worry about the folders later? Can they be expected to hold a decent zero in normal/field use (i.e. less than 200 yards)? I know this might sound silly, especially since they are BUIS, but in that mode, I envision them as a 'use once in a while, when absolutely nothing else is working' sight instead of a 'always at the ready, super sturdy when unlatched' sight. Please set me straight on what I can expect with either of the above.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:34:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:02:33 PM EDT
I have used a Troy deployed 24/7 as an iron for months and its as rugged as any fixed sight... even without locktite. I could not say the same for the 40L that was on there before it. However with locktite both should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:22:01 PM EDT
I see no reason at all why you couldn't use a flat top with what are considered BUIS as your only sighting system. And, I don't think you would be giving up a damn thing by doing so.
You will see, if you buy a good quality sight, it will do anything an A1 type rear sight will do. Although I don't think they are as rugged as a carry handle, I think that with any consideration on your part, it wouldn't be a problem. And you can always fold the sight down when not actually using the rifle to minimize the chance of damaging it, but again, this is probably overkill.
I have thought about taking a carbine class with just my BUIS just for something different.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:28:47 PM EDT
I agree, I would have no problems using my ARMS 40 as a Primary if that's all I had. if Installed correctly and zeroed in, and you do your part, you will be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:28:21 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses, guys; your feedback has really eased my mind. Now to decide between the 40 A2 and the 40 L - time to pull up the SEARCH button Thanks again..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:59:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:57 AM EDT
I used the KAC 300M as my primary for a week long field problem once, it was fine as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:42:02 AM EDT
I have the Troy rear on my superlight rifle, to replace the heavy carry handle.

It's even lighter now..he
Top Top