Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 11:08:53 PM EDT
I always felt that the FSB should to be on a SHTF rifle.  As I get older and my eyesight getting worse, I like magnified optics and the unobstructed view through the scope of the fold down front sight.  What is the consensus on the FSB on a SHTF rifle?  What did you guys do?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
For starters, I like the fact that a FSB typically has taper pins that will prevent the gas block from ever sliding out of alignment. While a lot of the low-profile and folding FSB's use a clamp on design that could potentially slide or come loose, causing malfunctions.

Last time I wanted to ditch my front sight, I removed it, ground it down on a bench grinder, and reinstalled it. It fit underneath of a handgaurd but still had the benefit of being attached by taper pins. And best of all, it didn't cost me anything.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no use for a fixed FSB. I use an optic 95% of the time, and I don't want a FSB cluttering my sight picture. Heaven forbid I'm ever in a situation where my life is in danger, I need my rifle, and my optic dies, then I can just pop up my BUIS and use them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't see the FSB with magnified optics.

Well...scratch that....a very very very faint shadow of the FSB on a 20" upper with a 4x ACOG. Practically unoticeable

Fixed FSBs make a great secondary weapon for slicing flesh. Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well...scratch that....a very very very faint shadow of the FSB on a 20" upper with a 4x ACOG. Practically unoticeable

View Quote

Well, the FSB is obstructing your sight picture on anything below 4x though...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A vast majority of the lower power optics are 4x.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always felt that the FSB should to be on a SHTF rifle.  As I get older and my eyesight getting worse, I like magnified optics and the unobstructed view through the scope of the fold down front sight.  What is the consensus on the FSB on a SHTF rifle?  What did you guys do?
View Quote

Both. This is ARFCOM.

Also, as mentioned, 4x + optics often don't have much if any of the FSB showing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. But my point was that when those variable optics are below 4x, the FSB is obstructing the sight picture.

With a fixed 4x ACOG like you referenced, it won't matter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My thoughts:

1. Modular hardware is more or less at Gen III development and those battery-operated mall ninja Swiss Army EBRs are now considered combat-proven platforms.

2. The average AR owner doesn't shoot or hump his "SHTF" rifle near enough to put it through its paces to be worried about half the bombproof add-on upgrades.

3. SHTF is either a "momentary unrest" situation that won't tax the rifle much or TEOAWKI  either wiping out the "operator" or granting access to other SHTF gear from the dead.

Thus, a "C-" rifle that is well-maintained and familiarized by the owner will generally be more suitable for SHTF than the average owner himself.

Moreover, FSB with/without optics are as useful as an optics platform with/without FSB. Hell, with the right gear/mounts, we're not even debating red dot sans BUIS that hotly anymore.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
A quality clamp on sight/gas block will do fine, but don't cheap out...stay with known quality parts from the likes of YHM, RRA, PRI or ARMS.

After working with both the ARMS and YHM, I prefer the ARMS as it seems to be build better, but the YHM and RRA can be easily replaced on a barrel with a pinned muzzle device...just something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes and no... I've never missed a coyote/fox/rabbit, or issues on the range during training, due to the front sight post being visible in my sight picture.  

Do you see it if looking for it, yes.  If focused on the reticle of an optic and the target, I don't even notice it on 1x...

It doesn't obstruct anymore than if you were using iron sights anyway... just with the benefit of good glass and a good reticle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top