Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:03:54 AM EDT
I'm sure this information may be posted elsewhere but I cannot seem to find it without an extensive search.  I'm looking for information on comparisons between a full fluted barrel and a lightwieght (as in Bushmaster Superlight profile) profile.  I have a RRA Mid-length upper that I am going to either have turned to a super-light profile, or full fluted (under the guards and in front of the FSB).  I guess there are three specific issues here:

1) Weight:  I suspect the fluted may be somewhat heavier.  Any information on how much heavier?

2) Heating:  The superlight will likely heat up quicker, as the Fluted has more surface area to assist heat dispersal.  Any comments?

3) Rigidity:  The fluted should prove somewhat less prone to POI shift with either extended shooting?  Comments?

It looks like a trade off:  Opt for a heavier fluted and get better heat dispersal and rigidity, or go lite and deal with less rigidity and more heating.  

Frozenny
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm sure this information may be posted elsewhere but I cannot seem to find it without an extensive search.  

Hint: It's currently an active topic in the Rifles & Uppers forum - its also available at www.MD-AR15.com and www.Bushmaster.com...

1) Weight:  I suspect the fluted may be somewhat heavier.  Any information on how much heavier?

(Weight of 16" barrel with front sight base, but lacking barrel nut which is 2.5oz)

HBAR: 38oz
Fluted HBAR: 34.8oz
Lightweight: 28.4oz

2) Heating:  The superlight will likely heat up quicker, as the Fluted has more surface area to assist heat dispersal.  Any comments?

Unless you're doing real precions shooting (measured in the 1/2 moa or less) or are firing full auto the 'heating issue' is a non-issue.

3) Rigidity:  The fluted should prove somewhat less prone to POI shift with either extended shooting?  Comments?

See previous comment.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top