Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 7:12:01 AM EDT

I'm working on an M16A4 clone rifle currently.  I've got a NIB Colt 20" 1/7 HBAR I'd like to use for this project.  Should I have it contoured to government profile, or have it fluted?

I understand that fluting reduces weight and allows heat to be distributed more quickly, but of course the gov profile barrel would be more accurate to the issued A4.

Should I maybe just buy an entirely different barrel or complete upper?  I'm pretty low-speed when it comes to barrels.

I understand the new USAMU DMR has a fluted free floating HBAR, so part of me wants to lean in that direction as well.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
what do you want?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]

I'd like to have the Colt barrel I already own fluted, because that is the most cost-effective solution.  But, I don't know anything about aftermarket fluting, or the impact this will have on accuracy.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd like to have the Colt barrel I already own fluted, because that is the most cost-effective solution.  But, I don't know anything about aftermarket fluting, or the impact this will have on accuracy.

Cost effective fluting?  From where?

It's been my experience (had a couple of each) that fluting doesn't really shave off much weight.  It reduces some, but not a lot.  I've also never had any effect (positive or negative) on accuracy of my rack grade chrome lined barrels.

Also be aware that there's a LOT of ground between fluted and government profile.  You could have it turned to .700 or .750.  It would be lighter than flutes but stiffer (and heavier) than Govt.

If it were mine, I'd go .700, and I'd have one of the board supporting dealers (ADCO, KKF, AR15barrels.com) do the work.

I used to be a BIG fan of fluted barrels, and I know you should never say never, but the way I feel about it now, (costs more than profiling, doesn't lighten as much) I will NEVER have another barrel fluted to save weight.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
adcofirearms.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top