Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 3:20:39 PM EDT by FITTER]
My wife has the standard heavy-barreled Dissy, but she has expressed an interest in getting something a bit lighter, while still retaining the Dissy set-up. I had mentioned the fluted barrel to her, but I couldn't find any photos of a fluted Dissipator barrel anywhere. I wanted to know how well done they are... does the front sight mount right over top of the flutes, or did they leave a "plain" section to mount the front sight base? If so, is the short section in front of the sight base fluted? The Bushmaster website doesn't illustrate this, and I came up with Zilch on a Google image search.
ETA she has a "post-ban" barrel, and we live in NY.

Any photos of this would be much appreciated.

TIA

(edited to say 'post ban' instead of 'pre-ban'... DUH! )
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:18:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 9:18:50 AM EDT by Forest]
My brother has a Bushy fluted dissy, not bad but still a bit muzzle heavy for my tastes. They don't flute under the FSB. It's fluted under the handguards, and he has a small fluted section between the front sight and the muzzle.

There are two better options. The first is to get a Bushy M4 Dissy, it has the M4 profile under the handguards and is lighter than the fluted dissy. Another (a little more expensive option) is to get a standard dissy then send it off to someone who does barrel work (like www.ar15barrels.com) and have it turned down to LW profile under the handguards - fore and aft of the gas block - it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:45:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
My brother has a Bushy fluted dissy, not bad but still a bit muzzle heavy for my tastes. They don't flute under the FSB. It's fluted under the handguards, and he has a small fluted section between the front sight and the muzzle.

There are two better options. The first is to get a Bushy M4 Dissy, it has the M4 profile under the handguards and is lighter than the fluted dissy. Another (a little more expensive option) is to get a standard dissy then send it off to someone who does barrel work (like www.ar15barrels.com) and have it turned down to LW profile under the handguards - fore and aft of the gas block - it makes a difference.

Or the third and BEST option (IMHO) is to send your wife's CURRENT dissy upper to someone and have it turned down to lightweight profile.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:00:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 5:16:27 PM EDT by Forest]

Originally Posted By Onslaught:

to LW profile under the handguards - fore and aft of the gas block - it makes a difference.

Or the third and BEST option (IMHO) is to send your wife's CURRENT dissy upper to someone and have it turned down to lightweight profile.

<Doh!> I missed the "My WIFE has" part

Good point Onslaught!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:30:17 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I WILL send that barrel out, then, but it will have to be to someone who can make it look original, finish wise. I'll check out that url... thanks Forest. It's got to be cheaper than getting a new barrel, money which could be put toward the flat-top upper receiver she wants.

(I'd still like to see a good photo of a fluted Dissipator if anyone has one, preferably without the handguards.)

She's a member here; maybe I can get her to post a pic of her current set-up for the sake of interest. I don't think she normally reads this section, but she is a Team member.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:18:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FITTER:
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I WILL send that barrel out, then, but it will have to be to someone who can make it look original, finish wise.

Randall can have it parkerized if you want. Comes out a nice charcoal type color.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:28 PM EDT
I've personally had barrels fluted by Kurt's Kustom and profiled to A2 spec by ADCO and both came back pretty much with the original type finish. I've never had anything done over at AR15barrels.com, but from the feedback, I wouldn't hesitate. If you choose one of the ARFCOM dealers to do the work, the finish won't be a problem.

This is just my $.02, so take it for what you paid for it... I have had 2 "rack grade" barrels that were fluted. The weight savings was moderate (Bushmaster factory) to pretty good (KKF "turned and fluted) but if I ever have another one that needs to go on a diet, I will just get it profiled and skip the fluting. Profiling is less expensive and takes off more weight. I've never seen a lick of difference in the accuracy of profiled vs. fluted in a chrome lined, production grade barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:49:32 AM EDT
i would send it to adcofirearms and get them to turn it down under the handguards. would reduce the weight a good bit imo.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:05:54 PM EDT
The Adco price looks pretty good, as it includes Parkerizing.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:45:54 PM EDT
AZEX arms can turn your Dissy down and repark it. I have had Derek do a few barrels and he did a great job.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:26:02 AM EDT
My Dissy is fluted, but it's still to heavy. It'll be off to Kurts for a lipo treatment when I get the scratch to do it. In combination with a #59 rifle length SIR, it's just too front heavy.
Top Top