Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/12/2005 3:25:57 PM EDT
I was going to buy an upper with a chrome lined 16" HBar but ........I can't find one. I am looking at a 16"M4 "government profile" barrel but.......that skinny little barrel makes me nervous. Would I see much accuracy enhancement if I went with a float tube? I don't need it to be super accurate cuz can't win matches with my DCM gun and I'll be using iron sights but I don't want to end up with something that groups like an AK either! I don't see myself shooting this one with a super tight sling either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
You have nothing to worry about. A HBAR is just extra weight anyway. A M4 barrel is the way to go for a carbine. The gun will handle and feel better in your hands, trust me. Accuracy is not a concern unless you plan on making the carbine a target rifle (and in that case, you should be shooting match grade ammo with a stainless steel barrel).

I would get a "float" tube for reasons entirely different than what you stated. A 4 rail handguard will allow you to attach a variety of accessories to your carbine. I currently have a flattop Bushmaster upper with a 16" CMMG M4 barrel, along with a LaRue 7.0 handguard that free floats the barrel.

If you want standard iron sights, get a flattop with a detachable carry handle, because you'll probably want to add optics later.

Accuracy is not an issue out of a chrome-lined 16" barrel, but don't expect sub MOA groups either with GI ammo.

By the way, since when are AK's "inaccurate"? I resent that sine I'm an AK guy. AK-74s and the newer AK-103s are excellent shooters in their own right. I can easily hit a chicken sized target with my Romanian AK-74 (SAR-2) at 200 yards.

themao
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:57:06 PM EDT
Well, I can split the hair on a gnats ass at 1,000 yards with an SKS with a bent barrel while shooting under one leg, with the gun upside down in a hurricane.

AKs are accurate enough. That has been done to death. They are not benchrest rifles.

Don't worry. Without a float tube, you will have normal groups of around 1-2" with quality ammunition. The lack of a float tube will only make the location of the group differ slightly when/if if it being rested on something ( ie, sandbag, bipod, etc. ).

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:11:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By themao:

By the way, since when are AK's "inaccurate"? I resent that sine I'm an AK guy. AK-74s and the newer AK-103s are excellent shooters in their own right. I can easily hit a chicken sized target with my Romanian AK-74 (SAR-2) at 200 yards.
themao

Well...........I shot a match with an AK once. Just prior to the AWB we organized a match for "banned" weapons in a misguided attempt to get some "positive" press coverage. The one I used would barely hold the black during slow fire. Part of it may have been that the sights really sucked.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I think I won't worry too much about going that route.
Top Top