Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 5:11:46 AM EST

I have only used an AR with optics and now I want to set up an upper with iron sights... I have a few stupi questions:

How is it that no flip up rear siights (that i have found out about) have an elevation adjustment?

What kind of limitation does this impose?

thanks,
mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:27:29 AM EST
Not much for a battle sight zero, it is supposed to be a backup sight to begin with… but if you are concerned about that Wilson Combat does make flip up rear sight that has an elevation adjustment.

www.wilsoncombat.com/r_flipup_rear_sight.asp
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:31:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2006 5:31:41 AM EST by BravoSierra]
IMO, no limitation, and just one more thing that can be knocked out of allignemnt.

Elevation is adjusted at the front sight post..
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:03:04 AM EST
that seems like a nice unit:

is it a single sperture design or does it hace a second smaller aperture as well?

thanks,
mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:40:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By mike_mccue:
that seems like a nice unit:

www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/TR-FURS2K.jpg

is it a single sperture design or does it hace a second smaller aperture as well?

thanks,
mike

From their site:

Our unique, new, flip-up sight for AR-15 style rifles is one of the most versatile available. Key features include: rock-solid 2 bolt mounting system, bi-directional adjustment for both windage and elevation, positive mount in the upward position, improved sight picture with a large aperture peep sight. The sight will mount on any standard weaver or picatinny rail.

Just one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:17:47 AM EST
I use one of the Wilson Combat backup sights, and it works fine. I wanted to set up my rifle so I could use either the carry handle or an ACOG or EOTech with BUIS, depending on the situation, without having to re-adjust the front sight post. My upper receiver is a Bushmaster, so the sights are a slightly different height from the Colt ones most BUIS are made for. The Wilson Combat sight was the only one I could find that allows the elevation to be adjusted to compensate. (I realize this whole issue is not relevant to everybody reading this.)

The elevation and windage adjustments take so much torque to turn that it is unlikely that they would be "knocked" to a different setting. It takes about three to four times as much torque to turn either knob as for the windage knob on standard A2 rear sights. Also, the knobs don't stick out a whole lot from the surrounding structure, so it would be fairly difficult for a random bump to hit them.

The sight has a single aperture that is slightly larger than the small aperture on standard A2 rear sights. I haven't observed any noticeable change in accuracy as compared to the carry handle sights.

If you don't ever plan on switching the sights around like me, elevation adjustment on the BUIS isn't really important. Some sights of different height (like the Bushmaster ones) may cause the front sight to require adjustment that makes the wide part stick out of the base. Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post to alleviate those issues.

I hope this information is helpful.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:29:25 AM EST
If you are looking for a rear flip up with a BDC, YHM now makes a flip-up with an HK style rotary drum with 4 apertures offset for 200, 300, 400, 500 meters.

yankeehill.bizland.com/store/product242.html

T
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:48:24 AM EST
thanks guys,

mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:17:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By bfett:
If you are looking for a rear flip up with a BDC, YHM now makes a flip-up with an HK style rotary drum with 4 apertures offset for 200, 300, 400, 500 meters.

yankeehill.bizland.com/store/product242.html

T

Very interesting, I had never seen that before.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:18:57 PM EST
I suppose it might come in handy if you ever have to finish up your string at Camp Perry with your BUIS...Other wise, why bother?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:52:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By HawkeyeNFO:
I use one of the Wilson Combat backup sights, and it works fine. I wanted to set up my rifle so I could use either the carry handle or an ACOG or EOTech with BUIS, depending on the situation, without having to re-adjust the front sight post. My upper receiver is a Bushmaster, so the sights are a slightly different height from the Colt ones most BUIS are made for. The Wilson Combat sight was the only one I could find that allows the elevation to be adjusted to compensate. (I realize this whole issue is not relevant to everybody reading this.)

The elevation and windage adjustments take so much torque to turn that it is unlikely that they would be "knocked" to a different setting. It takes about three to four times as much torque to turn either knob as for the windage knob on standard A2 rear sights. Also, the knobs don't stick out a whole lot from the surrounding structure, so it would be fairly difficult for a random bump to hit them.

The sight has a single aperture that is slightly larger than the small aperture on standard A2 rear sights. I haven't observed any noticeable change in accuracy as compared to the carry handle sights.

If you don't ever plan on switching the sights around like me, elevation adjustment on the BUIS isn't really important. Some sights of different height (like the Bushmaster ones) may cause the front sight to require adjustment that makes the wide part stick out of the base. Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post to alleviate those issues.

I hope this information is helpful.

thats a very good point. never thought of that sight to solve fsb issues. good to know.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:50:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By mike_mccue:
I have only used an AR with optics and now I want to set up an upper with iron sights... I have a few stupi questions:

How is it that no flip up rear siights (that i have found out about) have an elevation adjustment?

What kind of limitation does this impose?

thanks,
mike

The M16 and M16A1 defended this country for 20 years with a non-adjustable rear sight as the -primary- aiming mechanism, and you want to know what problems you'll have if you use one as a backup?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:02:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2006 6:10:47 PM EST by eye_spy]
Just to add to the discussion ... another BUIS you may find interesting.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:37:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:20:55 PM EST
i have a KAC 600m rear BUIS and you can adjust it for elevation.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:06:29 AM EST
Thanks again, guys.

For waht it's worth I plan on running iron sights and no optics for a while on this project, so even though I want to try flip ups they will serve as primary sights.

As stated, I am pretty unfamiliar with iron sights on a AR (dad was aWWII vet... rear elevation adjustment is pretty common on the older guns we shot) So I did not know that many A2 sights did not have elevation adjust. I assumed they all had it.

I haven't become familiar with the various zero methods/doctrines and was looking for a quick run down of what you could and couldn't do without a rear adjustment.

I am sure I will find that to be a really niave question :-)

FWIW, I sure like that Wilson Combat sight because we have been a "Wilson Combat" family since grandpa's service days. I may just have go sentimental on this one :-).

thanks again,
mike
Top Top