Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:42:13 PM EST
While I'm waiting for my RRA lower to get here I've been thinking about the other things I'll need to complete my evil black rifle. My question is what flip up rear BUIS do you like and why? I've been looking at GG&G's MAD product. Any experience with this product? Thanks.

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:16:26 PM EST
There are two basic trains of thought. Either have a solid (not folding) ability rear sight, or a folding that is spring loaded and will rebound if hit by brush, sling, or what ever. Rational, you want to make sure that the sight will be there if needed in adverse handling conditions. Soilid non folding do not let certain optics ( magnified) come back to the proper eye relief. Folding sights are not quite as fast as the non folding solid sight. The folding sights don't obstruct any optic, but can be left in the up position like a solid sight if you wish. A folding sight that (locks) in the up position, can be easily brocken, as it does not give if hit, then you have no back-up iron at all if that happens. Folding sights that have to be (pushed) into position, can and do get pushed down if hit be something, detents do not prevent it getting knocked down, but at least they don't break like the lock in place types. Rear sights should have nothing that interferes with the charging handle, hence vertually all rear sights fasten to the receiver via some un-obstructive small nut, so a knuckler buster is not ready to grab you. The two most successfull rear sights are the LMT solid rear sight with elivation, and the ARMS #40 series of folding spring loaded dual aperture BUIS.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:50:08 PM EST
Thanks! Does ARMS have a website? I did a search but couldn't find anything. I did find the #40 and #40L on ADCO's website, but I was looking for a bigger/better pic. Thanks again.

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:52:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 8:53:08 PM EST by Combat_Jack]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:39:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 9:42:52 PM EST by DevL]
The ARMS 40 tends to come loose and requires lots of locktite. It slower to get in the up position than the "locked when up", non spring loaded types. The ARMS 40 is slower to get in the up position than say a TROY rear sight by a fraction of a second and if you just whack at the retaining bar and it does not come up it can be a whole second slower if you have to reach back up and try again. This misfire never happens with the Troy BUIS. I have NEVER heard of a BUIS breaking due to a blow by any military or LEO EVER, EVER, EVER. To make a decision based on what might happen 1 in a million chance on a rear sight you will likely never even use (trust me you will NEVER use your BUIS once its sighted in) is just plain foolish. Get the rear sight that deploys the fastest. If you have to deploy your BUIS its because you are about to die and every millisecond counts. The BUIS only has to last till that encounter is over then you can replace your broken optic or throw on that old carry handle you never use any more. To me the ARMS 40 has one advantage only... with a 19S mount you can get a TA31 one notch further rear than any other mount/BUIS combo. 3rdtk is a shill for ARMS. I used to buy his BS sales pitch till I used all the products myself and reevaluated the reasoning behind my equipment selection. Think hard before you buy and question the reasoning behind everything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:57:36 AM EST
MATECH.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:53:48 AM EST
i like the arms buis also

why?.... cause it fits perfectly behind the rails of my arms sir
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:43:18 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:36:21 AM EST
I like the KAC 300M flipup. Unobtrusive when down, has never come loose, big fat ghost ring. I only wish that it had a QD mount instead of needing a screwdriver - but its so flat and small I rarely have to remove it.

It doesn't lock up, it just has a click detent, but I have not found that to be a problem. Its a back-up sight after all, rarely used and when I practice with it, so far I have never inadvertantly folded it up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:36:54 AM EST
Thanks I'll check out the Troy and KAC products. I'm taking my BUIS seriously because it will be my sight until I can afford an Aimpoint or EOTech. I know I could buy a fixed rear sight like the LMT, but I'll need a flip up later and I hate to spend that money twice. Thanks again.

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:41:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
i like the arms buis also

why?.... cause it fits perfectly behind the rails of my arms sir

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:58:57 PM EST
I sure do like my TROY.
Top Top