Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2011 1:47:45 PM EDT
I am building my AR and am not sure which flip up sights (front and back) I should order.  Troy, YHM, etc.....   I am looking for a good quality set of flip BUIS.  I plan on getting the new Aimpoint PRO as my primary optic.  Any help for the BUIS would be great.

Quality is obviously a big point for me, but I can't spend an arm and a leg in getting it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at quite a few different manufacturers offerings and settled upon Diamondhead Sights flip-up sights.  I am very well pleased with the quality and the design.  The diamond shape rear peep orients perfectly with the front sight.

http://www.diamondhead-usa.com/
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
i own a set of Troy's.  they rugged and reliable. i installed and sighted them in over a year ago and they are still dead on today. i have the M4 front and the DOA rear. i will use these for all future builds. if you side with the Troy's you wont be disappointed
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
KAC  3-600  REAR ADJUSTABLE ELEVATION AND WINDAGE

DIAMONDHEAD FRONT WITH 24/7  TRITIUM STRYPE POST
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am building my AR and am not sure which flip up sights (front and back) I should order.  Troy, YHM, etc.....   I am looking for a good quality set of flip BUIS.  I plan on getting the new Aimpoint PRO as my primary optic.  Any help for the BUIS would be great.

Quality is obviously a big point for me, but I can't spend an arm and a leg in getting it.

Not sure what you mean by this statement, you can't have your cake and eat it too...

For quality, Troy.  For budget, Magpul MBUS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
arms 72L seems pretty ok to me also.

if you get magpul.. wait for gen2.  gen1 is pretty bulky while it's perfectly dependable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What if I go with a standard military front sight post?  Will any rear flip up BUIS zero properly?  
Thanks for answers in advance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Both sets of my Troys have held up great. Unlike some rifles I have purchases they were dead on from day one. I have never had to adjust either set. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 mixed sets of YHM sights and they are great. They lock up solid and are pretty durable, but the rears could lay a little flatter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure your front site is not sitting on the gas block.  If it is the sight will be too low as it will not be on the same plane as the rear sight.  You can buy front flip up sights that sit on the gas block, but just make sure you get the correct one for your config.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I the only one who thinks its nuts to spend $250 on a pair of backup sites that will rarely (if ever) get used?  I've seen some of the lower priced models that are quite rugged; I would think they would hold zero.  Aside from asthetics, I really don't see the point.

But, I guess this is like spending $4k for rims on your car; everything is subjective and people will pay a premium to have a "cool" looking rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what you mean by this statement, you can't have your cake and eat it too...

For quality, Troy.  For budget, Magpul MBUS.

This is true. I have all Troy buis now. I bought other ones in the past and am always just disappointed.
As for the idea of it being "crazy" to buy expensive sights, its true you won't use them often but the day you NEED them they darn well better work. Buy once, cry once.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Am I the only one who thinks its nuts to spend $250 on a pair of backup sites that will rarely (if ever) get used?

Not at all. To spend $250 on a set of BUS that will never get used is ridiculous; they can only get in the way. Its their gun & money though.
It is, however, different to have a set on your go-to gun, even if they aren't used so much.

Every time I shoot my AR that has BUS equipped, I use them. I like irons.

Quoted:I have 2 mixed sets of YHM sights and they are great. They lock up solid and are pretty durable, but the rears could lay a little flatter.

I went with the YHM's because of their low profile (0.435" height) and they lock in both the up and down positions. IMO they are well built and give a good lock up.

That being said, the Diamondheads are the same 0.435". I've never seen them before, but they look to have a better designed button and rail clamp (YHM leaves a gap above it - more of an aesthetic issue). However, it doesn't sound like they lock down (IMO, deal breaker)... their description is not concrete

And that being said, Troy Ind are only 0.025" taller (0.460"). Negligible. IIRC, they don't lock down (been a while, anyone?)
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
YHM QDS or Magpul MBUS
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Samson's on one of my rifles and have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
After owning several others, I will only buy Troy from now on. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have 2 mixed sets of YHM sights and they are great. They lock up solid and are pretty durable, but the rears could lay a little flatter.

I think YHM BUIS are severely under rated.  They may not survive a direct sledge hammer strike as well as Troys, but.....sometimes I wonder.

I do like Troys better in over all term, but I can't hit the broad side of Queen Mary with Troy's apperture.

I have finally had the chance to play around with the MBUS - I like those tough turtle-like gremlins - not sure why people think that they will break only because they're made out of polymer.  The only thing that prevents me from getting them: I do not like their apperture.  It seems to me that I can only shoot irons well with an A-2 apperture

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
AIM has the standard Troy combo set on for $169 /w free ship right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a huge deal.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dude, you are THE MAN.  I don't even NEED a set right now, but I have future builds to prepare for.
I now have a spare set on the way.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top