Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 9:28:14 AM EDT
Is there any truth to when the last round that locks back the the bolt causes fliers? Just curious if there's any truth to that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The round is long gone from the barrel before the bolt starts to move.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It is just another of the many excuses used to blame poor shooting on the gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna disagree with the above posts. I believe it does effect the impact because once the last round is loaded from the mag then there's no resistance on the bolt from a cartridges in the mag. This also relflects my experiences from doing load development on the AR platform. I only load and shoot 10rd groups and I would notice that the last round would almost always be a flier. So I decided to load 5 dummy rounds before the live rounds to mimick the tension on the bolt from rounds being in the magazine. My fliers stopped after I did that. YMMV, but it seemed to work for me. Give it a try and post your results on the forum.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never noticed a difference while shooting groups/checking handloads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
For all I know, it's probably in my head. I always count my shots when I'm shooting groups and that probably isn't such a good idea cause I might be siking myself out trying to keep those last few shots tight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The only difference I can detect when shooting the last round of a mag is that it sounds a bit different and if I'm paying attention, I know it's the last round from the sound. I however see absolutely no difference in POI. I guess there could be some accuracy differences due to the barrel heating up, but that wouldn't necessarily be only the last round, just any rounds when the barrel gets very hot.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Shooting high power rifle during the rapids you have a mag change. That's two rounds for every 10 that's the last in the mag. I have never noticed any fliers from it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Just my 2%...............

The comment of the empty/not empty magazine putting pressure on the bottom of the bolt carrier and then effecting accuracy is a stretch in an AR.
(So the issue isn't when the bullet has or hasn't left the bore that effects accuracy but the pressure against the base of the carrier that does).

Now with say an FN FAL (with the tilt-locking design)  or maybe an m14 were the magazine follower bears against the bolt directly, I could see it.
But that's a VERY minute thing to obsess over and there are FAR MORE significant things affecting accuracy.  

But the FN FAL isn't an AR.............
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Comparable to the cold bore/cold shooter... I'd suspect shooter over the gun. The shooter is the most inconsistent part of the equation.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top