Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:14:46 PM EDT
Howdy all,

Time to put a scope (Weaver GS 3-10x40) on my first flatop AR. I'm looking at ARMS #22, Armalite one-piece, or Leupold QR rings to mount it. A quick detach would be nice, but near-zero repeatability is more important to me.

I don't see many (any?) Leupold rings on ARs. Does Leupold make ring that's high enough to be used without an elevated rail? If so, is Leupold a good choice?

Are the ARMS #22 rings worth the extra money even though I'll need the shims too? I've always been impressed by ARMS' products and their rings look pretty darn nice, albiet expensive.

I know the Armalite one-piece is a solid mount. Does it offer good near-zero repeatablity? Whats the best source for one?

Thanks for all your input and advice.

Gil

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Leupold mounted in an Armalite mount, good solid mount,proper height and when I remove the mount and reinstall it, were back to zero. I bought it from Quantico Arms in the industry section.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster Mini Risers, A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img]
[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The ASA mount is more BEEFY (more heavy-duty) appearring than the Armalite mount.

[url]http://www.gunkits.com/mounts.html[/url]

[img]http://www.gunkits.com/supermount2.jpg[/img]

I have both the ASA and Armalite mount.  I decided to mount my Luepold 6-20x50 scope using the ASA mount because the ASA mount appeared stronger (wider straps).

P.S. Although I own both Armalite and ASA mounts, I have NOT YET TRIED the Armalite mount.  The Armalite mount is sitting in the closet waiting to be tried.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys. That gives me something to think about... Armalite looks like the way to go, especially for the money.

Best regards,
Gil
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
    Be sure to consider eye relief as well as height - the Picatinny rail on a flat-top may not let you mount the scope far enough forward for a comfortable position, especially in prone. I use an extended riser (1/2" high) made by Accuracy Speaks (available direct or from Brownell's) combined with standard-height rings.  There's now a similar one available from Compass Lake Engineering.  This gives me an extra 4" of rail and lets me mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT (a rather long scope) and gives me the option for an extra 15' of built-in elevation for long range work. I'm using Wiegand Combat rings (available from Brownell's) - they were inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top