Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 4:20:41 PM EDT
Hello one and all . . .

In the process of building-up another AR.  

Using a "flat-top" receiver and a 16 inch barrel.  Not sure what stock I'll be using --ACE, A2 full stock, or a collapsable -- but want some ideas on what to "put on top".

4 power scope ? ?  AimPoint ? ?  EOtech ? ?  

Will be using it now in then at the local steel plate shoots, "fun gun" and ? ? ?  And will have a detatchable carrying handle on hand, "just in case".

So . . . . any ideas or opinions on what to "put on top".

Thanks  ! !

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Here we go again

Aimpoint
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Would you please share your info on Aimpoints ? ?

I know what they are, but really not much about them.

Models ? ?  Features ? ?

Thanks  ! !

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint.

ARFCOM thread showing views through the Aimpoint as well as a variety of other optics:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=158932
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
This is my take on the subject.......

Aimpoints work better for more precise shooting, have it co-witness your irons and make nice shots out to 200 yards (I'm not talking varmint hunting with the aimpoint, just more precise mid range stuff).

Eotech.....I love my Eotechs, the reticle for me works best for closer range, quicker snap shooting. This is more of what I was looking for in a red dot type sight. I love the fact that you can adjust the brightness (I know the Aimpoint does this too) you can adjust it so high you could still see it when shooting on the frickin' surface of the sun if you wanted

I sold my new Aipmoint and purchased another Eotech.....I have a 512 and a 552. Both are the models that take AA batteries. I really like that idea also. I can buy batteries at a gas station if I need to....or take them out of the remote for the TV.....that's a nice option.

Hope this helps.

One more thing......you don't have to buy another mount for the Eo...it's built in and it sits nice and low on your receiver, but not too low.......I'm not co-witnessing anything with mine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
make sure you get an "F" stamped front sight tower, Mr. Armorer!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you gentlemen  ! !

Looks like I'm gonna have to do a "little reading up" on these neat sights  ! !

By the way -- my flat-top has the standard front sight tower -- is that going to be a problem ? ?

Thanks again  ! ! !
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I just learned this bit of wonderful info, so It's fresh in my mind.  If you have a standard front sight tower, you'll have to unscrew your front sight an absurd amount to get your irons to zero.

It's quite unsightly and GAY.  But I think bushy or someone makes a taller sight post to correct this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just learned this bit of wonderful info, so It's fresh in my mind.  If you have a standard front sight tower, you'll have to unscrew your front sight an absurd amount to get your irons to zero.

It's quite unsightly and GAY.  But I think bushy or someone makes a taller sight post to correct this.

I can back up markm on this one, I have the LMT BUIS and love it, but have the .040 taller sight post and STILL am going to have to get the taller front sight tower to get my zero straightened out.  What a PITA!!!!!  Now I have to figure out where to get the F marked taller front sight tower that has the pin holes already drilled in it.  Any ideas, anyone?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now I have to figure out where to get the F marked taller front sight tower that has the pin holes already drilled in it.  Any ideas, anyone?

Try here for undrilled "F" towers:

Undrilled "F" Marked Front Sight Bases

Even if you find one that is drilled, there is a 99.9% chance that it will NOT line up with the slots in the barrel you have right now.  Not impossible to mount, it'll just take a little extra work on your part.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Try the optics section if you are seriously interested in an answer.  There is a wealth of information.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top