Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 5:50:40 AM EDT
Can someone shed some light on the part of the AWB that states a post-ban rifle can't have a grenade launcher, and how this relate to the OD of the pre-ban flash suppressor??

I was under the impression that a grenade was a DD, and fell under other federal laws concerning any destructive explosive device.  I've seen M203 launchers on M16's with different hand guards, but these bolt under the barrel, and I don't see what the FS has to so with them. Do pre-bans with flash suppressors have the ability to put a special grenade on the end of the barrel, load a blank .223 cartridge, and launch it?

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can someone shed some light on the part of the AWB that states a post-ban rifle can't have a grenade launcher,
View Quote

Try: 18 U.S.C. sec. 921 (a) (30) (B) (v)

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(v) a grenade launcher;
View Quote

For the purposes of this discussion we'll assume your AR-15 has a pistol grip (which is the 1 allowed 'Evil Feature'(tm)

and how this relate to the OD of the pre-ban flash suppressor??
View Quote

The diameter of the flash supressor allows the rifle to fire 'Rifle Grenades'.  Like those produced by FN and used by many NATO allies.

BATF has a letter on this - check with the guys in the Legal Forum in the General Discussion area.

I was under the impression that a grenade was a DD,
View Quote

That is entirely irrlevant.  We're discussing a Grenade Launcher (which would mean a 40MM M203 or a muzzle device of 22 +/-1 mm diameter).

I've seen M203 launchers on M16's with different hand guards, but these bolt under the barrel,
View Quote

No what you've seen are 37mm FLARE launchers.  There is a big difference.  Visit [url]http://www.37mm.com[/url] to learn the differences.

Do pre-bans with flash suppressors have the ability to put a special grenade on the end of the barrel, load a blank .223 cartridge, and launch it?
View Quote

Yes but you don't use a blank cartridge.  Some use a Grenade launching cartridge (different from a blank) - most however use the newer bullet trap or bullet pass through design so you can launch grenades using standard ball ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I totally agree with Forest on this one. Got his stuff together!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top