Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2003 9:59:09 PM EDT
How does the BATFe determine if a thing on the end of a barrel is a flash suppressor or a muzzle break/ compensator?    Don't compensators like the Vais do some part in decreasing flash?   Does a flash suppressor decrease recoil and muzzle rise?   Just trying to understand the definitions a little more.
thanks

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone? anyone? anyone?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They have equipment to measure muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The A2 flash suppressor/compensator does both, it dissipate flash, while its bottom is closed, it vents gas upward to help keep the muzzle down.  A device such as Phantom, Vortex, A1 birdcage suppressor only suppresses flash it does not decrease recoil or help with muzzle rise.  A flash hider simply hides it from the shooter to preserve his night vision but not necessarily diminishes it, remember the cone-shaped hiders on WWII weapons...
A brake helps in reducing the felt recoil.  We can still see these in use on artilery.
[img]fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m2_1.jpg[/img]

From what I hear, many MiniY brake users feel like the above pic when they fire their weapons.
[:d][:d][:d]
I'm incomplete on any of these, please feel free to correct me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From what I hear, many MiniY brake users feel like the above pic when they fire their weapons.
View Quote
No, the Mini-Y users don't feel that way, it's the guys on either side of them who feel that way.   [cuss]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
[rofl] I've been on the receiving end of many a Barret .50 rifle blast and concussion, to me it was kind of fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top