Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 10:53:48 PM EDT
In all the posts I have read about flash suppressor performance, most seem to read something like:
A2 gets rid of 70%
Phantom gets rid of 95%
Vortex gets rid of 100%

Are these talking about from the shooters perspective, or from an observers perspective?

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have NGV?  then it doesn't really matter.............does it?????????  
the dept uses phantom, but we don't use ngv.......we use a couple w/ vortex, but they are all dissy uppers.  Sorry if I sound
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I do have a set of NVG's (though not a very good set), but I don't normally use them in conjunction with my AR (since plinking pop cans at night would probably piss off my neighbors).  

The reason I ask is, I recently got rid of my muzzle break in favor of a flash suppressor.  I have tried both the A2 and the Vortex on my 16" bushy with pmp ammo.  I noticed during firing, I couldn't see any flash when my left eye is closed (front sight tower hid any flash) with either the A2 or vortex, but shooting with both eyes open I could see some flash with both the vortex and A2, although somewhat less with the vortex.  From the posts I read here, I was expecting the difference between the two to be much greater.  Has any one else had similar results?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]

VORTEX  !

Dont advertise you position.

I'm sure there are many on this forum that wont tell, but have shot at muzzle flashes.

I have seen both sides.    You want a Vortex by Smith Enterprise.

I have nothing to do with, and I am not connected with in any way, the above.

I am simply trying to answer your question.

The millitary is using them now.  Those folks are slow to catch on, but I'm sure they

will like them too.

W. Bell
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree the vortex did do a better job, but it just wasn't as much of a difference as I expected.  I was expecting zero flash with the vortex.  Ammo might have something to do with it.  I used PMP ammo, does anyone know if this ammo has an abnormal amount of flash?  I'll pick up some M193 or M855 and give it a try.

Since I'm not military or LE, I'm probably never going to be in a situation where my life depends on having no muzzle flash.  But I figure, if you going to get a flash suppressor, why not get the best one.  Truthfully, the main reason I wanted a flash suppressor, is because I haven't been able to have one for the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The only problem with the vortex is that it leaves a nice acoustical PIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG to zero in on.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I am wrong but the length of the barrel will also play a part in how much muzzle flash there is as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...muscle flash...

You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only problem with the vortex is that it leaves a nice acoustical PIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG to zero in on.

Yah, the one thats timed almost exactly with the huge BBBAAAAAANNNNGGGGG!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah, the one thats timed almost exactly with the huge BBBAAAAAANNNNGGGGG!

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've shot multiple setups with different Vortexes and never heard a PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG, the BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG must always get in the way, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess my hearing is more sensitive or something, but the ping lasts about 2 to 3 seconds after the bang. Someone at a short distance may be able to hear the ping more clearly. Or maybe it was just a knockoff brand of the vortex I bought? I got it at the show.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Dust signatures can be more dangerous than flash.  Flash comes and goes almost instantly, dust signatures linger.  Might want to consider closed-bottom flash suppressors if you plan to shoot prone on dirt.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't notice the PIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG sound when firing mine with the vortex, but I was using hearing protection.  Can it be heard through hearing protection?  In noticed it sure makes that sound when you tap the end of it with something, so it's probably there when firing too, it's probably just covered up by the blast or hearing protection.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The Vortex makes a great sound when releasing the bolt.  I can feel it a bit when I fire, but not hear it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dust signatures can be more dangerous than flash.  Flash comes and goes almost instantly, dust signatures linger.  Might want to consider closed-bottom flash suppressors if you plan to shoot prone on dirt.

Good point.  That might be part of the reason most 14.5" barrels are offered with the phantom instead of the vortex, since it now has the closed bottom slot.  Although fear of the tines breaking is probably the main reason, that's what I was told by bushmaster when I asked why they didn't offer the vortex anymore.  From what I was told, they won't attach them at all anymore.  That's the reason I went with a 16" on my post awb build, I figured that way I could just put whatever I wanted on the muzzle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top