Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2013 1:47:15 AM EDT
Doing a new upper build for a 14.5" carbine length barrel, so I need to find the flash suppressor that will be welded/pinned.  I want a non-mount AAC blackout (can't find one) and came across this from DD:

http://www.operationparts.com/Daniel_Defense_Superior_Suppression_Device_p/dd-04074.htm

Problem is I don't think it's long enough to push my barrel out to 16" (1.875" minus the thread length is probably just over 1.375 or 1/8" short).  I also haven't heard anything about how it performs.

Thoughts on either of those fronts?

I have a vortex and can go with that, but wanted to look for some alternatives.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you need at least 2 1/4".  I used a Phantom to bring mine to length, but I had it laying around.  If I were you I would do the vortex you have, I believe that will put you at 16.1".

BE SURE TO MEASURE barrel length with a closed bolt.  Just to confirm it isn't 1. 14.7" or 14. something" shorter....
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Vortex is available pre-drilled, while Blackouts are very hard and tough to drill through.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't use a flash hider so brake/comp whatever it is. I have a Battle Comp 1.5 on one 14.5 and a POF brake on another. I like the POF better. I would go with the Vortex in your situation. I reckon if you get one pre-drilled might need to time it if you want the weld at the bottom. A shim kit will help if you go this route.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Vortex is available pre-drilled, while Blackouts are very hard and tough to drill through.

This is actually a really good point.  I'm having a hard time finding a pre-drilled vortex, but I can imagine how the blackouts might be hard to drill.

Yeah this DD isn't long enough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I just had the same dilemma with a 14.5" BBL Adams Arms Tactical Elite upper.  Since I live near Rainier Arms I went with a Battlecomp 1.5 and had them do the pin job.  Got it back in 6 days.  It looks mean!  But I've yet to fire up that baby yet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Ug I hope it's not too loud for you!

I know I want basic flash suppression - not looking for a comp or muzzle break.  However, making sure I don't get into a bind with the length is the issue.  I don't have the barrel yet (in the mail), so I'm essentially guessing if I try to go with a shorter one than the vortex.

I chose to go with the DD extended:

Daniel Defense Extended

Just a little variety.  The vortex I have is on my 16" barrel.  I can switch them if I really want to.  The ACC non-mount is 1/8" shorter than these.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top