Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 2:27:31 PM EDT
So I'm thinking about chopping my barrel down to 14.5.  Without the whole debate about just leaving it at 16, I was hoping some of you could post some pictures of what type of permenantly attached flash suppresors you are using and what you think of them.  I am specifically looking at the Gemtech bi-lock and the extended A2 birdcage from Talon Arms but have not ruled out the Phantom with the closed off bottom.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I'm thinking about chopping my barrel down to 14.5.  Without the whole debate about just leaving it at 16, I was hoping some of you could post some pictures of what type of permenantly attached flash suppresors you are using and what you think of them.  I am specifically looking at the Gemtech bi-lock and the extended A2 birdcage from Talon Arms but have not ruled out the Phantom with the closed off bottom.

Thanks

permenantly attached flash suppressors are a major PITA
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The Phantom is a good flash hider.  I've got one on a 14.5" barrel I have that is waiting for a few more parts and tools to turn into a complete gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
permenantly attached flash suppressors are a major PITA

They are only a PITA if you plan on swapping a FSB or installing/removing a FF handguard in the future. If you have it the way you want it, perm. flash hiders aren't a big deal. Go SBR if your state allows it, and solve both problems
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was hoping some of you could post some pictures of what type of permenantly attached flash suppresors you are using and what you think of them.

Nothing but the best...

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Phantom 5C2 gets my vote
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks

My 14.5 Bushmaster with closed bottom Phantom.

Steve

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I consider the Phantom the best over-all choice.

In all the photos of the ACTUAL flash I've seen, I don't think there is any appreciable difference between the phantom and vortex, and the phantom costs about half.  Both are definitely better than the A2.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Personally, I consider the Phantom the best over-all choice.

In all the photos of the ACTUAL flash I've seen, I don't think there is any appreciable difference between the phantom and vortex, and the phantom costs about half.  Both are definitely better than the A2.

+1

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
toss up between the vortex and phantom 5c1/5c2 for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  The Sabre in the other thread is starting to grow on me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks.  The Sabre in the other thread is starting to grow on me.

+1.  I like the Extended A2 hider.  If all i had was 14.5 barrels, these are what I'd use.  Unfortunately, I have other AR's that have the real A2 FH, and I like them all to match, so I go for the 14.7 barrels.  I guess I'm just nuts like that.  14.5+ Extended A2 is the cheaper route than what I like...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent my 16" LMT upper to ADCO to chop it  to 14.5" and permanently attach a Vortex.  I'm very happy with it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Phantom 5C2 gets my vote

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I know it's only looks, but if I had my barrel shortened and had something welded to it,
I'd at least want them to align the wrench slots...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I know it's only looks, but if I had my barrel shortened and had something welded to it,

you dont index the vortex
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
you dont index the vortex

I know, I'm just saying from an attention to detail standpoint, aligning the wrench grooves
to the sides of the rifle is something I would expect, that's all...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.  As stated, it's not indexed, so it doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Phantom 5C2 gets my vote

Werd.

And I concur that the only time a perm muzzle device is a problem is if you want to pull off the FSB to change one piece FF rails. If you use a Troy-Sampson-MI two piece it's not a problem at all. Well not if you have dremmel skilz.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The deciding factor being that the Phantoms won't "bloom" on you.

(I know, I know...  Smith fixed that problem. )

I certainly wouldn't want to gamble on having a permanently attached vortex that bloomed on my barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I certainly wouldn't want to gamble on having a permanently attached vortex that bloomed on my barrel.

"bloom"...Thats a good way to describe it...

The newer improved SE Vortex is hardened beyond belief...Its impossible for them to bloom... Try drilling one for a pin and weld job and you'll agree... They also sell them with a pre-drilled hole because of that specific reason...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The newer improved SE Vortex is hardened beyond belief...Its impossible for them to bloom... Try drilling one for a pin and weld job and you'll agree... They also sell them with a pre-drilled hole because of that specific reason...

That's a good idea!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got a phantom on my 16" and it actually, really works!  I did some low light testing one evening at the range between a stock supporessor, no suppressor, and the phantom.  There was definately a noticable difference betweent he stock and phantom.  

Of course, you can only do that if the FS is detachable. . .

To the AR group:  I hear a lot of sales hype on flash suppressors with varying amounts of science behind all the sales puffing.  Does any one have a link to something really scientific as to why some FS work and some don't?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's such a pretty flower!

Seriously, the new Vortexes are tough as hell. I have faith in mine. But phantom, Vortex, who cares?

Also, the Surefire QD can mount and Gemtech bilock will make length as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one of the newer type Vortex FS open up when used on my AR pistol, in less than 50 rounds. I traded it in for a phantom and never looked back. I also didn't like the way the Vortex FSs like to snag on cloth and the padding in my gun case.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top