Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 9:49:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2004 6:14:32 AM EST by BFIBri]
I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith today, he put a A2 F/S on my post ban barrel.

My question is when I ask him if he put on a crushed or peeled washer on he said that he put on some kind of nut. (He called it a name and said it was better than those washers) Is this the proper ? It looks like there is a nut then the F/S.

Dont get me wrong... its look great, I just dont know what the difference?

Brian
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:18:13 PM EST
can you post a pic? I don't ever recall any "nuts" put on a muzzle except on AKs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:34:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 10:36:10 PM EST by Stickman]
It is a probably washer, just not a typical peel washer. Not a big deal, there are plenty of people using crush washers, they work well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:31:43 AM EST
if it looks like a nut than what he probably did was put on a lock nut. similar to the mucilek(cant spell it).

he probably did this cause it would be easier to time it with a lock nut, not the best way cause it could eventually work itself loose.

if it has flats than it would be a lock nut but if it is rounded like the barrel then its some sort of washer
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:12:52 AM EST
A lock washer maybe? Is the washer split? or is it contiguous all the way around the barrel?

A pic would do wonders.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:00:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2004 6:06:03 AM EST by BFIBri]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:23:00 AM EST
Mmmmmm.......camo........Whatcha gonna put on that carry handle?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:29:02 AM EST
Man, that dont look right. Take it back and have him do it right. That looks like "homesmithing" to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:33:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigkracka:
Mmmmmm.......camo..hatcha
\

I was thinking of getting a Burris 4X12 with Ballistic Plex.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:09:42 AM EST
Looks like it's a thin lock nut. Not a standard way to attach the hider but it should work just fine. Lock nuts are used in a lot of applications where vibration can cause things to loosen up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:15:04 AM EST
I see he went to the WECSOG institute, it will work, but is not the way it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:16:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By TNRonin:
I see he went to the WECSOG institute, it will work, but is not the way it is supposed to be.

he needed to use the proper crush washer or a peel washer
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:24:46 AM EST
Mechanically speaking, a locking nut is more secure than a washer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:31:05 AM EST
Looks great and nothing wrong using that washer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:35:06 AM EST

Plaese explain... about the WECSOG Institute

Bri
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:39:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By BFIBri:

Plaese explain... about the WECSOG Institute

Bri

Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing. (Or something like that)

It looks like an AR180 set-up with that nut on the end. (Read, effective, but cheap)

It doesn't look bad, but it does not look correct.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:42:52 AM EST
jam nut
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:25:04 PM EST
That is not correct.

Crush/Peel washers are used for a reason.

The Jam Nut your "gunsmith" used will work loose as the barrel goes through heating/cooling cycles due to different expansion rates of nut and Flash Hider.

The Jam Nut your "gunsmith" used may also reduce the effectiveness of your Flash Hider by placing the restrictor in the base of the FH too far from the muzzle (thus creating a mini expansion chamber before gases get to the FH).

In any event, this is not the accepted method to mount a FH. Will it work for you? Maybe. Would I accept this buthcher job? Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:38:37 PM EST
Ok, now what?

Can I, myself just get a crushed/peeled washer and replace the jam nut or do I need to have a "pro" do it?

Please dont tell me may barrel isn't wrecked.....

Thanks
Bri

Whats better, Crushed or peeled washer?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:50:43 PM EST

Ok, now what?

Can I, myself just get a crushed/peeled washer and replace the jam nut or do I need to have a "pro" do it?

Thanks
Bri

Take it off yourself, and replace it with a crush washer as it will be easier to time your FS. It is a simple deal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:07:19 PM EST

Ok, now what?

Thanks
Bri

There's no way a jam nut should have damaged your barrel. I can think of several possible reasons why your smith may have used it, none of which are acceptable.

1. He didn't have the correct peel washer or crush washer.
2. A jam nut would make it real easy to index an A2 flash suppressor.
3. A jam nut is less tedious than a peel washer.
4. A jam nut can be employed without the use of a set of AR-15 barrel vice blocks, which your smith may not own. A crush or peel washer usually cannot.

Bottom line--it's a shortcut method of installing a flash suppressor. While it looks fine, at least in my book, it isn't the accepted way of doing the job. Will it shoot loose? I dunno, but it seems like all the AR smiths and the military would be installing them that way if it was. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:09:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Ok, now what?

Thanks
Bri

Take it off yourself, and replace it with a crush washer as it will be easier to time your FS. It is a simple deal.

It's a pretty easy job to do yourself. But just be careful about marring the finish of the barrel/flash hider when you clamp it down and index the F.S. Ideally your gunsmith should make it right, but if he is of the mindset that a locknut is better than a crush washer, then you might be better off doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:12:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:17:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2004 9:29:42 PM EST by BFIBri]
You guys are the best!!!!

Thanks for all your help

Brian

BravoCompanyUSA:

Thank you,
I'll return the favor, someday, just ask!!!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:26:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:
BFIBri,
Email your address, I will put a crush washer in the mail for you.

Damn good man!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:39:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:
BFIBri,
Email your address, I will put a crush washer in the mail for you.

I think this is called exceptional customer service.
Top Top