Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 4:14:35 AM EDT
What a spread of choices we have!

I'm at the range the other day with my new recon AR courtesy of Denny's Guns and misc. parts from ADCO and G&R Tactical.  

I send a few downrange to sight in my TA31A....a buddy says "Man that Phantom 5C2 barks!  You need a vortex or something!"  I went onto explain how dust signatures piss me off and how the Vortex, though a fantastic flash hider, sucks if you're ever shooting prone - as you'll inadvertently end up with sand in your face.  

I'm currently building another AR, stock but with a M93B and on the muzzle end I'm going to install a Troy Industries Midieval Brake.  Funny, how before the AWB lifted it was all about flash hiders, now....I just assume have my sight picture stay on target.  If that comes at the price of some flash, I guess I'll weigh that out.

Though I must say I rate the importance muzzle device benefits as:

1) felt recoil

2) dust signature

3) flash suppression

4) perceived noise

5) accuracy loss/gain

6) everything else (serrated edges, impact devices, suppressor compatibility, etc)

If you had to rate your experiences with various muzzle devices, how would spread the honors?

Right now my top choice is the Phantom 5C1/2 from YHM.  Though I do look forward to the Troy Ind. Medieval Brake.  I'd be curious to read a review on the Bushmaster Izzy Brake as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm currently looking at getting a new upper or barrel for my post-ban AR so I'm in the market for a muzzle break/flash suppressor for the first time as well.  I was looking at the Phantom series with the sealed 6 o'clock hole to avoid dust signature and also to help with recoil.  I was shopping around at BravoCo (the particular flash suppressor I'm considering is the third one down the page), any further thoughts on these flash suppressors?  Is the Phantom that I'm considering similar to the one you've got Hokie?  I've never seen the Troy Ind. "Medieval Break."

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm currently looking at getting a new upper or barrel for my post-ban AR so I'm in the market for a muzzle break/flash suppressor for the first time as well.  I was looking at the Phantom series with the sealed 6 o'clock hole to avoid dust signature and also to help with recoil.  I was shopping around at BravoCo (the particular flash suppressor I'm considering is the third one down the page), any further thoughts on these flash suppressors?  Is the Phantom that I'm considering similar to the one you've got Hokie?  I've never seen the Troy Ind. "Medieval Break."

Thanks!

Yep, that's the Phantom 5C1.  A fine choice.  I know it's 'rated' (by whom I don't exactly know, but you learn things as time passes) as one of the top flash hiders on the market next to the Vortex.  The advantage here is of course the closed bottom port.  With that closed bottom port, I notice a difference in gas venting from the standard 4 ported older version of the phantom.  I think the 5C1/2 series certainly absorbs some recoil by denying the gas the opportunity to go south.

I think alot of brakes on the market now are wrestling with the open diameter of the muzzle end of the brake and gas vents to include some flash suppression.  By allowing room to burn off excess powder and redirect the flow of exerted pressures, there are some brakes out there that do a great comprehensive job at both and others that do a great job or addressing flash or recoil.

To date I do not believe there is a page on this forum address and/or rating all currently available muzzle devices.  I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though, so chime in everyone!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
i like the phantom 5c1/2 along with the vortex.
with the closed bottom on the phantom you will notice a slight reduction in muzzle rise, i did.

i would waste much time or money on the bushmaster izzy brake or flashhider though. mstn's qc brake works wonders and when compared to other brakes its not as loud
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Wilson and cav comps. i had them on my rifles during the ban and see no reason to remove them. The Wilson and cav comp have a closed bottom, so no dust in your face. They also do not seem as loud as the others.(JP,y-comp etc).fwiw
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#5]
From Forest; Muzzle Device's
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Since weight and price were not in your criteria it sounds like you #1 choice is a suppressor.  It will beat out pretty much anything that is a flash hider or brake in those categories.

Your buddy seems a little misguided if he thinks a Vortex will reduce the "bark" of your AR more than the Phantom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Since weight and price were not in your criteria it sounds like you #1 choice is a suppressor.  It will beat out pretty much anything that is a flash hider or brake in those categories.

Your buddy seems a little misguided if he thinks a Vortex will reduce the "bark" of your AR more than the Phantom.

He is misguided, yes.  He also shoots a plain muzzled post ban 16" A2 HBar carbine with an A2 stock.  But that's not what we're talking about here.

Weight and price are not in my criteria at all, as I don't think either is significant enough to add or detract from the parameters listed above.

I'm thinking the 5C1/2 is the best blend of flash suppression and taming recoil.  I'm challenging everyone to agree or disagree with my claim and chime in with their 2 cents on the matter.  I too think a suppressor would be the best option of all, but I wasn't aiming the thread that way.  Just stirring some technical discussion amongst all the GD horseshit floating around AR15.com lately.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
So does anyone use the Midievil muzzle break? Im interested in hearing your opinions/experiances.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Denny from Denny's Guns raves about them.  I'm ordering one in a couple weeks when the cash materializes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm thinking the 5C1/2 is the best blend of flash suppression and taming recoil.

I'd have to agree with you there from personal experience switching flash suppressors on a 16" barrel.  However, the reduction in recoil of the Phantom over the Vortex is slight, at least in semi automatic mode.

If you're serious about recoil reduction, get a MSTN QC brake. It's remarkable (but still loud), of course the heavy 18" SS barrel helps too.
And it's not bad as a flash suppressor, really didn't notice any flash in near darkness shooting.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
nice gun!

Before I decided to try out that medieval brake (mostly because it's different - I can also sell it if I don't like it) I was looking at MSTN's QC brake.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
No one has mentioned the YHM 5M1 Comp/Brake .... I put that one on a Stag 16" M4 after I had about 600 rounds through it. I like it a LOT.  Sure it is a bit louder than stock,  but not objectionable to shoot with standard foam earplugs. It does allow less bouncing of the dot. Accuracy is still excellent. ... plenty evil yet functionable.      HHjr.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
We shoot prone with our rifles resting on our packs.  Carbine users invariably place their rifle barrels directly on top of packs, a Phantom or Vortex will shoot out gas from their slots and burn/char/cut the pack underneath.  My pack has numerous battle scars from such encounters with flash suppressors that do not have closed buttoms.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We shoot prone with our rifles resting on our packs.  Carbine users invariably place their rifle barrels directly on top of packs, a Phantom or Vortex will shoot out gas from their slots and burn/char/cut the pack underneath.  My pack has numerous battle scars from such encounters with flash suppressors that do not have closed buttoms.

That happened to me once when I let a friend shoot my 4-ported Phantom/M4gery.  The bastard used my range backpack as a bench rest!  My own fault...but nonetheless a testament for closed bottom ports.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ah yes, that happened to one of my ground tarps once.  Now it has a battle scar :)

The Troy is a good brake but not as good as the QC brake.

J

As good as what, felt recoil?

Thanks,

H
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#18]
These are all effective comps listed from most effective to almost as effective cause they are all good.  As a general rule the larger the comp the more effective, there is a lot of gas volue to work with in a .223.

F2
Benny Hill's rolling thunder
Bennie Cooley
MSTN QC Brake

The JP tank break damn effective, you gotta check out the video one handing a CAR with this break on JP's site
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top