Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2006 2:35:58 AM EDT
I see a variety of flash hider available from a2 to 5-1/2". Is there any real difference in the effect and if so, is the difference substantial? <Phil>
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
someone tested few FHs and posted the pics...but I can't find the link of that thread...
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Vortex is best followed closely by Phantom

You know, I hear that fairly often, but if you take a look at the photos in Randall's link, I doubt you can discern which muzzle flash belongs to which of the two.  IMHO, the difference is negligible; a toss up.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You know, I hear that fairly often, but if you take a look at the photos in Randall's link, I doubt you can discern which muzzle flash belongs to which of the two.  IMHO, the difference is negligible; a toss up.

We were shooting last weekend, a bit after the sun was behind the mountains.
There was nothing but a little spark visible on a 14.5" barrel with a standard phantom.
The 12" barrel with the A2 was another story though...
Same M855 ammo.

Did the 12" with A2 look similar to that flame thrower in the linked thread?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It should be mentioned that the A1/A2 works adequately on 16" and 20" barrels, its only when the barrel starts getting short that you start to see fireballs.  I have had an A1 on the end of a 16" barrel, shooting different types of ammo known for their fire-breathing characteristics like xm193.  Flash was never enough to cause any problems after dark, such as degrading night vision or obscuring the target through a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Phantom is VERY VERY good, but the Vortex is a bit better.

The Vortex is not $20 better, but it is $20 more expensive.
That makes it more tacticool.

No matter how you cut it, Vortex G6A2 is a better flash hider. As far as price difference you should know better you are an accomplished machinist.  you can see the work involved in the Vortex.

Phantom is not a bad hider but in the end, Vortex does a better job.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

id even argue that the phantom with the muzzle strike ferrules is more "tacticool"

With the middle finger and a gun pointing at the camera, it make you tacticool..
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
<---someone who has bent the hell out of one prongs on a Vortex.

Save your money and get an A2.

If you want a FH that is evil looking and will work well as a impact device, get the Phantom.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#18]
but if you absolutely demand the best performance from a falsh hider, which i do... I would select the Vortex. for general shooter that attend a few night classes and require a better hider to enhance performance, Both would do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

no that just makes me an asshole who hates cameras.

Makes hard to be a dealer on AR15 if you hate Camera. as for being an Asian, I love cameras.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you compare them purely on price/function, a $50 Vortex is not a 60% better flash hider than a $30 phantom.

Not sure if that is agood way to justify performance.. that is like you can buy a Corvette ZO6 and get as good of performance as a Ferrari F430. this kind of remind me of the Tangodown thread that someone stated the price of the grip is not worth the performance.  sometime i just find those type of statement to be BS.  sorry.. you are a good guy, but i have to disagree with you there. :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vortex is best followed closely by Phantom

Just my two cents.

That's the difference between looking at photos and being there for the tests.

For some ammo there is virtually no difference.  However for other ammo types (Wolf comes to mind) there is a more noticeable difference.  The Phantom is VERY VERY good, but the Vortex is a bit better.

When you're shooting Wolf, I doubt you'll be in a situation where the minute difference in flash suppression between the two will matter (i.e., plinking).

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No matter how you cut it, Vortex G6A2 is a better flash hider. As far as price difference you should know better you are an accomplished machinist.  you can see the work involved in the Vortex.

Phantom is not a bad hider but in the end, Vortex does a better job.  

To quote Randall's figures, if you see it necessary to spend 60% more so that a non-critical component on your rifle will be of better quality and craftsmanship, then more power to you brother.  

I've never heard of a YHM Phantom--and certainly not an A2--failing, so I would imagine that the Vortex, with it's superior materials and craftsmanship, is a bit overkill, seeing as how a flash hider is not a high stress part and is unlikely to fail anyway.

To each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I have only used the A2 and a couple versions of the Phantom. Never tried the Vortex due to its cost and several reports of tines bending, expanding or breaking.

I like the low cost of the A2 and the fact it adds less length to a 16" Brl. 16" plus phantom is just too long IMO. I have abraded the cordura lining in 3 gun cases with the scalloped Phantom and under no circumstances will i use thet model again.

For my next 14.5" build I'm going with a Sabre defense extended A2 FS.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:
To quote Randall's figures, if you see it necessary to spend 60% more so that a non-critical component on your rifle will be of better quality and craftsmanship, then more power to you brother.  

I've never heard of a YHM Phantom--and certainly not an A2--failing, so I would imagine that the Vortex, with it's superior materials and craftsmanship, is a bit overkill, seeing as how a flash hider is not a high stress part and is unlikely to fail anyway.

To each his own I guess.

Slick,

I also said there is a performance gain from the Vortex that you forgot to mention.  I am not that anal as to buying or recommending a product to someone simply because it looks better or better quality.  yes, quality is one of my criteria.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own I guess.

Slick,

I also said there is a performance gain from the Vortex that you forgot to mention.  I am not that anal as to buying or recommending a product to someone simply because it looks better or better quality.  yes, quality is one of my criteria.

Lee,

Mea culpa, I missed that part.  What performance advantage would this be, more back pressure?

Justin
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
big fan of the phantom FH here.  Less chance of bending a tine as have been reported by a few vortex owners.

Those tines are pretty thick!! Were they trying to pry something open, or what?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top