Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2003 11:15:03 PM EDT
What's up, everyone.  I got tired of waiting for our local range to reopen, so I finally christened my postban Bushmaster M4 this evening in the middle of the forest heavy.gif

Now, as I'm sure most of you are aware, the assault weapons ban may be very well approaching its demise, and because of this, I had a couple of questions.

First off, I was quite surprised at the very loud report it gave off.  The gun is equipped with Bushmaster's Mini Y-comp brake.  I had been flipping through their catalog and saw a really nice looking 16" CAR barrel with a flash hider.  Now, this is certainly evil as of right now, but I would like to get this barrel if it made a significant difference in decibel levels, plus it looks cool and has a bayonet lug h
Secondly, do you think it would be wise to simply get the barrel soon (I also wanted to get some sort of collapsible stock) and wait for the ban to sunset, or just sleep on the idea until the ban really does come to a close?  As far as I know, the outlook is good for the gun folks, what do you guys think?  Would the ATF give a damn?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just swap the mini y comp after the ban and not waste money on a new barrel just to get a bayonet lug you will never use to bayonette anyone or anything.  If you have a 16" barrel it wont fit a bayonete anyway it only fits correctly on a 14.5"

The mini y comp is known as one of the loudest of all muzzle breaks to the shooter and people next to them.  If its objectionable you could swap to a flash hider look a like break.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Are rifles equipped with flash hiders any quieter than braked guns?
View Quote

Technically no, but let me qualify that.

From a standpoint of physics a muzzle brake can't magnify sound waves. The reason a brake sounds louder than hell is because it directs sound back toward you. A conventional flash hider keeps sound directed ahead of you.

That being said there is a significant difference in the perceived noise level between my braked M4 carbine and my flash hider equipped prebans.

Like you, I can't wait for the sunset so I can install a proper flash hider [:)]

I have no idea about your second question.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Can I swap out a muzzle brake for another one (or a FH soon) even though Bushmaster claims to have it permanently attached (bear in mind this is a postban barrel)?  It seems like a pain to have to cut it off and weld another one on there, how much would that cost, or would i not do that at all?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I put a postban muzzle break on my rifle,and before the break I shot it with out ear plugs,now that the break is on it,You cant be ANYWHERE CLOSE TO IT,god damn thing is so loud,cant understand why Ive never heard people cring bout em
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont cut er weld anythin,go buy a Colt after the ban ends,dont buy one for more than what you see the LEO Colts going for now.It will sun set and make sure you get rid of all yer post ban stuff now,because if that ban ends, post ban stuff will be worth nothing,might as well be a Sks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
First, I would like to say that you shouldn't count on the AWB going away.  Expect a serious gun incident, be it a school shooting or another "sniper" incident or something like that, to happen shortly before or even during debate on the issue.  These things always seem to happen like that... .  The second thing I want to mention is that buying "Assault Weapon" parts and waiting until its legal to put them on may still get you in trouble.  As I understand it, the facists in the BATF consider that to be in "Felonius constructive possesion" of a post ban assault weapon.  Even though you havent put that colapsable stock on, your possesing it along with a legal post-ban gun that you "could" put it on, means that you "constructively possess" an illegal asault weapon.  At least that's how I understand how the ATF fascists are interpreting the law today. But I'm not a lawyer. Either way, good luck to ya.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dont cut er weld anythin,go buy a Colt after the ban ends,dont buy one for more than what you see the LEO Colts going for now.It will sun set and make sure you get rid of all yer post ban stuff now,because if that ban ends, post ban stuff will be worth nothing,might as well be a Sks.
View Quote

Huh?

You can slap a collapsible buttstock on easily enough, and threading a barrel is easy too. Once you do that you've got the equivalent of a preban. Preban blue label Colts don't have a bayonet lug anyway, so for about $70.00 I can make my postban Colt M4 carbine just like it's preban cousins.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont like bolt on bayo lugs and the thought of threading harded steel on my day off,taking the barrel off,would rather sell post ban stuff then go buy a factory Preban.I hear that it could go either way,But with Bush and the Reps having the majority in the House,if it doent sunset,I will not be voting repub for awhile,Ill just throw my vote away to green party.But really,I few people that I know that lobby in Florida for gun rights say just put off buying preban stuff till after Sept 04.Just have to wait and see.Wouldnt it be great,cheap betas,folding,sliding........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top