Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2004 8:25:20 AM EDT
I know this has been gone over agian and agian, however I wasn't concerned with it untill now since the AWB is (most likely) going to sunset. I have done a few searches and I didn't learn much. If you guys have any suggestions of what would work on my M4 bushy barrel let me know!

What flash suppressors do you guys recommend?  

Thanks, and Remember 9/11!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically you have 4 main choices with several other choices available:

1) Phantom
2) Vortex
3) A1
4) A2

Phantom and Vortex are supposedly the most efficient at keeping flash down.

A1 and A2 are the cheapest.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the speedy response!

How much should I expect to pay for a Phantom or a Vortex? (not including installation by a gunsmith)

Where can I find a picture of the Phantom and Vortex?

Will these be long enough so that my M4 barrel will still be 16 inches long after installation?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How much should I expect to pay for a Phantom or a Vortex? (not including installation by a gunsmith)

Will these be long enough so that my M4 barrel will still be 16 inches long after installation?

I usually see them from around the $30 to 35 mark.  

Yes, but I beleive it would have to be permitaly attached.  I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Phantoms can be found for around $25. Vortex's are about twice that much.

Brightflashlights has an excellent set of photographs that compares the different types of Phantom flash supressors in this thread.

Pictures of the Vortex can be found on Smith's page.

If you have a 14.5" M4 profile barrel, use of either the Phantom or Vortex will meet the 16" length (and yes, will need to be permanently attached unless you go the SBR route).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I would just get an A2, unless you have some high falootin' NODS you're using.  A lot of people here obsess on flash elimination, but I can't imagine that they all are using NODS.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. and websources.

Dare I ask? How difficult and what tools are required to permanetly install a Vortex or phantom FS? Also How difficult would it be for me to remove the muzzle bake thats already on my barrel? It is a permanetly attached Iggy brake

What are high falootin' NODS?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. and websources.

Dare I ask? How difficult and what tools are required to permanetly install a Vortex or phantom FS?

There are a few accepted methods out there. One of which is to pin the flash supressor in place while another is to use high temp solder. Directions on the latter can be found here. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Also How difficult would it be for me to remove the muzzle bake thats already on my barrel? It is a permanetly attached Iggy brake

You might as well send your barrel to Adco to have them do the job. Check Adco's Shop Services page for prices. Not only will they do it right, they'll do it quickly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
do what I'm doing and get an M4 bbl. stretched to 16in so you can still remove the hider and switch it out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I second Adco, their price for instalation of the Phantom includes the cost of the Phantom itself. I just sent mine off today.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
do what I'm doing and get an M4 bbl. stretched to 16in so you can still remove the hider and switch it out.

How are they going to legthen your barrel? With the same device that legthens the standard 14.5in M4 to 16in overall?

Quoted:
You might as well send your barrel to Adco to have them do the job. Check Adco's Shop Services page for prices. Not only will they do it right, they'll do it quickly.

Yes I agree ADCO definatley does things right and quickly, I was really wanting to avoid shipping anything. I made a post in Hometown to see if there was any reputable gunsmiths in my area. My usual gunsmith unfortunately had a fire, so they wont be able to get to it soon.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I also recommend Adco.

They cut/crowned/threaded my 16"barrel for an A2 FH.

Tunaround time to my doorstep was about 1 week.

Outstanding service from Steve also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks all, looks like its time to get out the action block and barrel wrench. I was really hopeing to avoid shipping my barrel, but I guess I can get them to install a bayonet lug while they are at it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Could'nt you just ship your whole upper minus the bolt and carrier? That would save you from removing and reinstalling th barrell.

John
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What are high falootin' NODS?

Thanks,

NODS is another name for nightvision, PVS-7, 10, 14,17s etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Could'nt you just ship your whole upper minus the bolt and carrier? That would save you from removing and reinstalling th barrell.

John

If you're going with Adco, you can do as JTC said (you can also remove the hand guards as well).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would just get an A2, unless you have some high falootin' NODS you're using.  A lot of people here obsess on flash elimination, but I can't imagine that they all are using NODS.

There is a huge difference in the performance of the Phantom or Vortex compared to an A2. I have no NVDs but comparing them in low light conditions, the difference is obvious.

In a dark house, it could mean not ruining your night adjusted vision.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I made a post earlier in the ADCO forum and Bigbore replied "Swap Vortex: onto barrel $118.00
doesnt matter if you send the barrel or complete upper." So I am just going to send it to ADCO and let those guys do it.  

Will the Vortex FS interfere with a bayonet in anyway?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is shipping back to me on Monday from ADCO...YEEHAW!

It seems a few of you had the same idea I had to get it there early.:)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I made a post earlier in the ADCO forum and Bigbore replied "Swap Vortex: onto barrel $118.00
doesnt matter if you send the barrel or complete upper." So I am just going to send it to ADCO and let those guys do it.  

Will the Vortex FS interfere with a bayonet in anyway?

In case you haven't seen their shop services page, the same procedure with a phantom instead of a vortex will run $85.00.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top