Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 8:09:40 PM EDT
I got into AR's following 9/11.  So to speak, I learned about AR's during the Post Ban Era.  Because of this, I have no preconcieved attachment to Bano lugs or flash hiders (FH).  However, collapable stocks do offer a huge advantage that I have begun to enjoy.

I am trying to decide if I really need a FH.  I do not need one for tactical reasons.  If I am firing at someone, I will not be trying to conceal the fact.

The only benefit from the FH that I would enjoy is having it to protect the muzzle crown.  I do carry my AR's (16" and 20") often for self defense.  I carry them around much more than I actually shoot them.  So, muzzle protection is a big concern to me.  However, short overall lenght is important too for easy carry.

However, I am not sure that I want to suffer with the one inch addition overall lenght to the rifle.

Would you get a FH for the only reason to protect the muzzle from damaging dings ?

Would the added one inch in lenght be worth the crown protection in spite of suffering with a slightly more combersome carry overall lenght ?

How easy would it be to ding a bare muzzle to the point that accuracy would suffer ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I got into AR's following 9/11.  So to speak, I learned about AR's during the Post Ban Era.  Because of this, I have no preconcieved attachment to Bano lugs or flash hiders (FH).  However, collapable stocks do offer a huge advantage that I have begun to enjoy.

I am trying to decide if I really need a FH.  I do not need one for tactical reasons.  If I am firing at someone, I will not be trying to conceal the fact.

The only benefit from the FH that I would enjoy is having it to protect the muzzle crown.  I do carry my AR's (16" and 20") often for self defense.  I carry them around much more than I actually shoot them.  So, muzzle protection is a big concern to me.  However, short overall lenght is important too for easy carry.

However, I am not sure that I want to suffer with the one inch addition overall lenght to the rifle.

Would you get a FH for the only reason to protect thmuzzle from damaging dings ?

Would the added one inch in lenght be worth the crown protection in spite of suffering with a slightly more combersome carry overall lenght ?

How easy would it be to ding a bare muzzle to the point that accuracy would suffer ?

Oh yes you will.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
captainpooby,

Please explain.  What am I missing ?  Of course, I would seek cover.  But, as far a hiding the muzzle flash is concerned, I do not see the need.  Please help me to see the light.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course it can protect the crown.   Depending where you're crawling around, it can attract gunk, too.  

FWIW, The FS is mainly to save your vision at night, not keep the bad guys from finding you.

The crown protection was also  the main reason I was happy to upgrade from post-ban. I went w/ a JP BC comp instead of a FS since I nearly never shoot at night but liked the idea of quicker splits at matches.

rvb
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
you should see the ball of fire that exits an a2 flash hider at night. the FH moves these hot gasses and flames out of your sight picture it doesn't eliminate the flash. thats what sound supressors do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Imagine yourself in a dark room, struggling to make out the outline of an offender, when there ia a sudden flash of brilliant light in your face. Almost like a camera flash. That will be the last thing you see for several seconds. Meanwhile the blinded offender can still see the spots from where the light eminated, and will likely attack in that direction, if still capable. An AR-15, especially the carbines, emit a brilliant flame from its muzzle when fired in dim lighting.  The flash hider mainly protect you from being blinded by this flash.
Among other things, if you ever shoot with magnified optics, you can notice even on overcast days, a flash that momentarily obscures sight of your target. Using the hider allows you to better track your target. The flash hider has a multitude of benefits, and the only major drawback is that some believe they caue a slight degradation in accuracy. The vortex, however, has been noted to improve accuracy on some barrels.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get an A2 "birdcage" flash hider, it also acts as a compensator (SP?) by directing some of the blast up (but not back at you).  I spent 4 years in the Corps and during many Low/no light training ops I never saw so much as a flash come out of the muzzle (20" mind you, but I wasn't looking for it either). Plus it will protect the crown like any muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...I am trying to decide if I really need a FH.  I do not need one for tactical reasons.  If I am firing at someone, I will not be trying to conceal the fact.

NEWSFLASH!  The FS isn't there to 'hide' you - it's there so the muzzle flash doesn't BLIND you - rendering quick followup shots impossible.  As your most likely to NEED your weapon at night or in a low light lever it follows that being able to SEE the target after the first shot would be important.

So yes you do need one for 'tactical' reasons.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top