Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 7:24:47 PM EST
Haven't purchased my first AR yet, almost!...Any preferences between flash hider, muzzle brake, nothing at all???

How about Bushmaster's Y-Comp, Mini-Y-Comp, AK-Style? Is it true that exhaust gases blow back toward the shooter? Is a muzzle brake typically required to get accurate followup shots?

Thanks Guys...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:39:24 PM EST
I have the Wilson combat brake, its a little bit louder but I like it a lot. Can't really tell you much about the other brakes, though I heard the Y comp is a little bit too loud, and the blast will knock all your ammo boxes off your bench.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:46:55 PM EST
The only braked AR I have is a Colt 6400C with its huge pop can brake. If you want one to look really good and your going post-ban, get one of KKF's A2brakes. I plan on having one put on my 20" postban when I quit being such a tightwad.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:01:48 PM EST
Sneezy, ANOTHER FL guy! Please check the link im my signature. If you live anywhere near Northern Central FL, come shoot with us! You are only allowed to use a flash suppressor (not flash hider) if you get a preban gun. If you get a preban, get the flash suppressor. If you are getting a postban, my prefference is the full crowned muzzle (nothing on the muzzle) but its really just a matter of opinion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:06:38 AM EST
I'm a rank newbie, but it's my opinion a 20" barrel doesn't need a brake/compensator, while a shorter barrel might benefit. Bottom line: try before you buy. You should be able to meet with a few AR aficionados who have a mix of brakes/comps and get a feel for what works best for you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:15:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2003 8:17:06 AM EST by RAMBOSKY]
I use to have a Bushy shorty with an AK muzzle break. Now I have a Bushy V-Match with out anything on the end of the barrel. I really didn't notice any difference in recoil. Let's face it, AR15's really don't have alot of recoil to begin with. Yes, the muzzle break looks cool. [8d] If I had a preban I [b]would[/b] have a flash suppressor. Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:24:58 PM EST
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Great advice. New-Arguy, I checked your website and it looks like a ton-a-fun! I used to compete in local IPSC matches (Tampa area), and this looks alot like that, only more fun. I'll be up for a visit in the next few weeks for sure!
Top Top