Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:54:22 AM EDT
What's the best one to get? Seems like there are 50+ to choose from.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:56:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 8:59:37 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
Vortex is No. 1
Phantom is No. 2

then the others....................

Mike

E.T.A - and ONCE again for those that have forgotten......

this is a Flash Hider:

and this is a Flash Suppressor:
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:04:08 AM EDT
+1 for the Vortex

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:52:56 AM EDT
The Phantom is the best. Bushmaster has the smooth front, 5-port model. The closed bottom model is probably the most useful, but the 4-slot ones I got from DPMS with the aggressive notches on the front are wonderful.

One thing to consider with the notched front is that if you are trying to control a dirtbag. You jam the muzzle into his belly and he'd be hardpressed to push it aside. With a smooth muzzle, it slides right off. The dirtbag just rolls to the side and he has control of your weapon. He may not be able to take possession, but he can sure keep you from shooting him and quick.

Sure, for punching holes in paper either is fine, but it's like a less-lethal bayonet to me.

Vortex? When you look at the thread about muzzle flash, there was no discernable performance difference. I'd rather have the phantom in any flavor.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:09:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 11:11:04 AM EDT by uxb]
BadgerArms, point well taken, and see where it would be practical in some applications.

However, if my target is close enough that I have to use my flash suppressor as a stand-off device or crowd control, I've seriously screwed up somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:16:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:14:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uxb:
...if my target is close enough that I have to use my flash suppressor as a stand-off device or crowd control, I've seriously screwed up somewhere.

Well, no. You don't always have a 'target' to deal with. If you're detaining somebody and don't immediately want to shoot them, you might need to use this technique. Would make our job easier if we could just shoot anybody we see, when we see them! You have somebody on the ground with the muzzle in their back, all they have to do is quickly roll over and grab the barrel of you're rifle, you're dead. The muzzle of the gun WILL slip off of the detainee. Me, I like the idea of using bayonets for this, but I think there's some STUPID rule against that. Darned you, McCain.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:56:41 PM EDT
I've got a new Noveske KFH for my Colt SBR project.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:24:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:54:23 PM EDT
Good point again, BadgerArms. Good thing I'm not an LEO or have to detain suspects. It would seem I'm not naturally very good at it..... "uuhhhhm, how about an anchor shot for good measure?"
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:08:40 PM EDT
Get a long enough bayonet and you can just stake them to the ground. Go through a large muscle group like the upper leg. Be careful to avoid the arteries, though. Not much in the way of information can come from a bleeder.
Top Top