Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2003 7:14:46 PM EDT
I was originally thinking about using my HK UTL as my light on my AR, but I want to leave the light on my duty belt and have it always available to my HK USP. I now want to buy a flashlight (w/ pressure switch) and flashlight mount exclusively for my rifle. Of course, I want quality everything, but also need to keep cost down........tough I know.

I have a handguard mounted accessory rail and want to find 2 things:

1. A great flashlight without spending hundreds of dollars. Which brand/model will provide long burn time with the most lumens?.......and allow me to use a pressure switch.

2. Mounting wise: What will be best for my rifle's setup: Offset mount (would like a right-sided offset mount, if the offset is the way to go) or a mount which positions the light direct underneath the rifle?

I use Surefire flashlights at work and assume these will be the best choice for the light. All my currently used Surefire's utilize rechargable batteries, which I prefer. However, these are typically longer lights than what I have seen most people mount onto their ARs........so I assume the Lithium batteried lights are the way to go for their more compact size. Yes/No???

Here is my rifle/setup:

RRA M4 LE Tactical Entry w/ RRA 6 Position Stock, PRI Latch, 3 Point Tac Sling w/ HK style hooks, DPMS Receiver Sling Plate, GG&G Rear Sling Thing, 6" handguard mounted accessory rail....and soon to be the Dieter Vertical Grip mounted to the handguard rail.

Remember, my RRA AR15 came with two front sling mounts........which I am not sure if this will be an issue/problem. There is a 'standard' sling mount on the bottomside (6 o'clock) of the rifle infront of the handguard. Mine also came with another sling mount which is clamped onto the barrel underneath the front sight tower and faces the mount/sling off the left of the rifle(9 o'clock). Once again, not sure if this is an issue or not.

THANKS a lot for any and all info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
i had an AR set up almost like your's.  I had a SureFire 6p in a scope ring mounted to the assec. rail in front of a KAC VG.  I would just push a knuckle forward and the light would come on.  A tape switch would work, too.  Use a bike innertube to mount it to the VG, unless you have the Dieter.

The side sling mount would not be in the way unless you had something like the SF Classic WeaponLight 660 (&659, i think).  It uses a mount that attaches to barrell / front sight tower.

I've never had trouble with the front sling mount that hangs at the 6 o'clock position.  If its a problem, just punch out the roll pin and save for later.  Sounds like your RRA isn't a dept issue, so that may not be a problem.  If that set up is dept issue, when are you hiring!!

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifle is definately NOT dept issued, just dept authorized to buy/carry/use on duty.

Just curious, but why the Surefire G2 Nitrolon? I have never seen/used one, just in catalogs.
While cost is an issue, its not 'that' important, are their better flashlight options than the G2? I mean the G2 costs like $35.........I just want to make sure the G2 will be up to the illuminating duties. My ideas are always, 'You get what you pay for'.

Then again, if the G2 has been used and proven, then thats fine I have no problem spending $35 on the light. Best bang for my buck is also a great rule. Like I said, I don't want this setup to be cheap, product wise.....but if I can get away with the G2, then great I will. I want something that will work and be reliable....without having to break my bank account.

When you say tape switch, does this mean a pressure switch? What would be best, a clicker style switch or a pressure/tape switch?

THANKS AGAIN!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Concerning the 6XX series of lighting systems..........I have seen a bunch of different makes/model number. What are the differences between all the 600 Series. Lumens/burn time? Do all these use lithium style disposable batteries?

I would be able to afford something in the 600 series. I just need some info and specs on each make/model.

Any info?

THANKS!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Three things:

#1. When we first started running the RAS systems here we were almost totally field expedient on mounting options for lights. I went to Wal Mart and picked up a set of the cheap Weaver 1" rings they sell and affixed them to the Surefire 6P and 6Z lights we had. Worked fine until something better was purchased. Come to think of it one guy is still running that setup.

#2. Regarding pricing. Don't be shy about discussing/inquiring about LEO pricing with the companies you deal with. As I'm sure you know many will offer lower prices to individual Officers either with valid ID or when purchased on Dept. letterhead.

#3. In case you hadn't thought of it the Glock M3/M3X light will interface perfectly with the M1913 Picatinny rail system you've got. Those are fairly cheap lights anymore and common, plus you won't have to buy a mount system for it. Operation is easy with your index finger from the K grip your looking at getting...Or you could buy the pressure switch and affix it to the Dieter grip you've selected since it has the slot for it, and then use the hollow grip to store the batts for the M3 setup.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Insight Technology's M3 illuminator with a pressure switch. Appx $150

Ain't as pretty as a Surefire, ain't as costly either. It's set up as a weapon light,as a bouns you might be able to swap it from rifle to handgun mount.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
AAC RAIL AND GRIP WITH AN M3 LIGHT. WORKS EVEN BETTER WITH A SUREFIRE 6P.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, well I think the 659 series is not going to work. My RRA M4 Tac Entry LE rifle has a sling mount which positions the sling mount out at about 9 o'clock position. This sling mount is mounted basically under the front slight tower and is clamped onto the barrel. I use and like this side mounted sling mount rather the the under side sling mount i also have mounted upfront.

So I then have the 660 or 670 option. I kind of like the 670 series mount because it mounts onto the sight tower(??) and I am kind of paranoid that the 660 might loosen and rotate since it would be clamped onto the barrel.

Does anyone have pics of the 670 series mounted?

Another option would be to mount a light onto the handguard accessory rail. What rail mounted systems out there are really good?

I would like to spend somewhere in the $200-$275 range and want to get the best system I can for the money.

I do NOT want to mount a rail light which was intended to be used on handguns, like the M3, M6, etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
This is about your last line option in serious quality and battlefield proven reliability. [url]http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/267/sesent/0,0[/url] They're not too much more than your price range. Put a little with what you've budgeted and get something reliable, especially since this is a patrol carbine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a tri-rail mount that mounts around the front site/gas port that works great.

I have a TACM offset that mounts off the handgaurd....that sucks on a carbine.

CTD has a cheap tac light with a decent lamp assembly for $30. I have two of those, and two TACMIII's.
$60 for the CTD 2xCR123 light and mount. Works good with the above mentioned tri-rail. That has handled raapid fire quite well (can't say the same for the TACMIIIs).

I have a few sure-fires and love them. However I keep them for pistol, personal carry.

I would stay away from off the barrel mounts, they never stay fixed. I had one and it graduated to a .22.
Again I always have conficts with hardguard mounts on a M4 type.

Sure-Fire definite has the best solutions, all depends on youor price range and purpose.

U already have enough where a dedicated sureree-fire hand rail light is a totally new route.

Ill try to find a link to the site base rail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I am running a Surefire 6 volt classic light in a ARMS QD Low scope ring that is then mounted to the Surefire M-16 mount that affixes to the barrel.  This enables me to have a QD option to my flashlight.  I did, as it should be noted, have to take a dremel tool and enlargen the gap on the SF m-16 mount to get the Arms ring to mount securely.

I then run my pressure pad up around my Knight's RIS and inbetween the top and left panels @ 10:00

This is an economical, as well as highly functional setup.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is what I have on mine, which is just almost like yours. The are only about $50 dollars more than you are currently talking about spending. It is the 952 that was mentioned earlier.
[url]
http://www.geocities.com/prometheus_22/M42.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Insight Technology's M3 illuminator with a pressure switch. Appx $150
View Quote

I wasn't very impressed with the quality of the beam.

I think the adjustable focus/beam adds dark spots to the light it produces.

I'd advise you check it out before buying.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is what I have on mine, which is just almost like yours. The are only about $50 dollars more than you are currently talking about spending. It is the 952 that was mentioned earlier.
[url]
http://www.geocities.com/prometheus_22/M42.jpg[/url]
View Quote

WHAT are you using to activate the tape switch?

Middle finger?

[img]http://www.geocities.com/prometheus_22/M42.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WHAT are you using to activate the tape switch?

Middle finger?
View Quote

Yep, middle finger, I keep playing with it and playing with it and that was what ended up working for me.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top