Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 8:21:47 AM EDT
  I find myself extending my 6-pos stock out to A1 length most of the time, unless I'm shooting with several layers of clothes on.  I never shoot in much more than a hoody and a long sleeved shirt anyways, as my hands are the main thing that gets cold.

Not knocking collapsible stocks at all, they serve their purpose well.  I just find that I don't make much use of the feature.   Fixed stock is back on and ready to rock, going shooting in a little bit to see if I like it.  

Does anyone else run a A2 or A1 stock on a 16" AR?  Did you find it to be smoother w/ the rifle length tube/buffer?  Post pics if you got em!  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it's smoother if you use a full length stock.  I once ran with an A1 stock on my carbine.  That upper now sports a Sully Stock (so I'm back to a carbine buffer) I find the length of the Sully to be better for most of my shooting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Forest is too modest......

Check this link out: groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw, he's review'd them all there.....

Mike
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The Sully Stock is the way to go, I have one on my Colt 6450 right now and I will be putting them on my M4geries

You can get one here

www.defensive-edge.net/

Sully is great to deal with and he is also a Indusrty Partner here on AR15.Com
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]
As can be seen in the following photo, the tele-stock doesn't really make the weapon that much more compact:

16" Dissipator with A2 stock, vs 16" carbine with standard tele-stock

The Sully stock just may be the best compromise here.

My apologies for the poor-quality photo/flash placement.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a CAR stock on mine because I ran out after the ban was over and put new furniture on it but I prefer the fixed stock for shooting and my Next AR will be a fixed stock. The only advantage for me in a colapsable is transportation. When it comes to shooting the fixed stock is the way to go for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
http://donut.xaled.com/files/kitsmall.jpg

I'm running an A2 stock on my trunk rifle.  After an incident where a collapsable stock shattered on me; I weighed the cons and benefits. I decided that even with my bulky body armor, I can live with A2 stocks on carbines.  I havent noticed anything regarding the handling of the weapon, and the minor difference in weight doesnt add up with body armor.  I didnt feel anything different of note when firing, other than the more solid feeling and different delivery of recoil caused by the A2 stock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As can be seen in the following photo, the tele-stock doesn't really make the weapon that much more compact:

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/2ARsjpeg.jpg

You need to line up the recievers to better illustrate the differences in the two. The way you have them set up isn't comparable. The bottom barrel is longer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/2ARsjpeg.jpg

You need to line up the recievers to better illustrate the differences in the two. The way you have them set up isn't comparable. The bottom barrel is longer.

True. I'll do that if I get a chance. They are both 16" barrels, but the carbine has the flash suppressor. My point was that the overall length wasn't that much different, but you're right. I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
True. I'll do that if I get a chance. They are both 16" barrels, but the carbine has the flash suppressor. My point was that the overall length wasn't that much different, but you're right. I'll see what I can do.

True..  Overall compactness isn't significant, but Length of Pull is very different.

Also..  BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.  
I took it out today to shoot, and I really like it.  The only downside is that it didnt fit in my case w/ my other gun as easily.  Oh well, no big deal.  

I used an A2 stock, but will probobly put the A1 on it as soon as I can find the short A1 screw that seems to have run away.  

It seemed to shoot WAY smoother with the rifle length tube/buffer than it did with the carbine/6-pos.
Seemed easier to follow through on shots and the recoil was long/smooth instead of quick.  It  seemed to balance better.    And my targets/groups showed that I shoot better with this setup, which is very cool.    

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top