Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2004 9:09:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 3:18:17 PM EST by niceguymr]
I'm trying to figure out which kind of rail system is right for me, and will be most usefull for my future needs.

There seems to be 2 types:
1) Free floating
2) Another type which I cant find a consistent name for.. maybe 'fixed' ???

Anyway... What's the difference between these two mounting types? What are the benefits and disadvantages of each?

I'm thinking of buying the X-6, but I'm still undecided and flexible. Thank you to anyone who can provide some clarity on this.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:20:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:23:23 PM EST
non floating are cheap and easy to install. FF are more accurate, because the sling or accessories dont hang off of the barrel. If you use a rail mounted sling or have lots of accessories on your rail, you definitely ought to consider a FF rail, particularly if you swap out your accessories a lot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:43:44 AM EST
What are you mounting on it? If optics, a FF will probably be your best option. I went with the SF M73 as it was easy to install and pretty well made for the $$$ (I have my Ml2 mounted on the receiver). If this will be on a gun requiring match accuracy, then a FF rail is a must. FWIW, I get 1moa out of my RRA 16" M4gery with the M73 on it (shooting on a sandbag).

Chris
Top Top