Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 5:54:48 PM EDT
I have a one year old RRA EOP Varmint rifle.  Great rifle!  Just received the following:

DPMS Upper Assembly AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper with Bolt Carrier Assembly 223 Remington 1 in 9" Twist 16" Bull Stainless Steel

After installing the DPMS upper on my RRA lower, there seems to me to be an excessive amount of play/slop between the upper and lower receivers compared to my complete RRA rifle.  If I grab the forend and twist, there is a small amount of movement.  Is a little movement between upper and lower assemblies normal? My EOP is rock solid.  Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,

B2AR15
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A little movement is normal.

I hate How tight RRA you need a punch set and rubber mallet to open the gun up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]
My RRA fits perfect...easy to open & tight as a drum!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A little movement is normal.

I hate How tight RRA you need a punch set and rubber mallet to open the gun up.

I just ran into the same thing. I have a RRA flat top upper and put it on a RRA lower.
It is so tight I have to smack it with a rubber mallet to seperate them.
This is the norm?
I figure too tight is better than too loose.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Tight is all right as long as parts still fit together without too much friction.  he
My new RRA lower is also tight.  Got a new V-22 upper for it and needed to use some serious force with a brass punch to get the takedown pin in or out!  I could work the pivot pin with my fingers and it was just right.  A little needle file work on the V-22 upper cured that problem.  The new CMT upper I bought is also more than finger tight on the takedown pin, but only needs a little help with a mallot.  I figure it'll losen up some with use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
normal for that to be so but it being with a rra lower is kinda odd since they are usually too tight
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
normal for that to be so but it being with a rra lower is kinda odd since they are usually too tight

Yeah, but DPMS uppers (and lowers) are slop city for fit.  I too have a DPMS upper on a Continental  (who makes the RR lowers) lower, and it's the only set I own with more than a tiny bit of play.  The rear lug on the DPMS upper is .003 thinner than the nest thicker upper I have
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Strange I've got a DPMS upper on a RRA lower and it's rock solid tight fit, without being too tight.  Do have to use something more than a thumbnail to pop the takedown and pivot pins though.  But as have as overall fit it's as tight as my full RRA rifle and way tighter than my bushies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top