Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:24:10 PM EDT
Greetings

New to this forum and new to ARs in general so am looking for some experienced advice from all you seasoned owners.  

This build isn't really going to be intricate and some of the others I've read thus far on this forum.  However, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

As far the parts go, I'm pretty set on the DD Mid M4 V5 however am debating between setups for lowers.  I've narrowed my choices between a complete (1) RRA lower LAR-15 OR (2) a Spike's ST-15 stripped lower, RRA parts kit (with 2 stage trigger) and Magpul UBR.  

So my question is, which combination would be better if there is any difference?

Keep in my I live in Canada therefore there are limits to the quantity of manufacturers available given export restrictions.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll offer this.  Build your lower yourself.  You'll enjoy it more that way.
I have built two rock river lowers and had a blast.  Starting a Spikes lower tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'll offer this.  Build your lower yourself.  You'll enjoy it more that way.
I have built two rock river lowers and had a blast.  Starting a Spikes lower tomorrow night.

This. Building the lower is fun and lets you choose what parts go into/on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright so here's the list of stuff I'll be getting for my first AR.  Suggestions will be appreciated.  Have to part out the upper receiver seeing as the company that was going to sell me the complete URG hasn't been in contact for about a month.

DPMS 16" mid barrell
DD Omega X-Rail 12.0
DD A4 Upper Receiver assembly
DD Bolt Carrier
Armalite Charging Handle
DD gas block (clamp .750)
A2 flash hider
Spikes lower or RRA lower (still undecided.  Will depend on whichever is in stock)
RRA lower parts kit or DD lower parts kit (still undecided.  Again it will depend on availability at the time of purchase)
Magpul UBR
Troy battle sights
DD Railmount swivel
DD Rear receiver QD Swivel

Ok gentlemen, have at it.  As mentioned any comments and or changes would be appreciated.  Thanks lads

Also had a couple of questions.  Is there any advantage to different charging handles (ie. ergonomics, aesthetics, tactical etc.)?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Alright so here's the list of stuff I'll be getting for my first AR.  Suggestions will be appreciated.  Have to part out the upper receiver seeing as the company that was going to sell me the complete URG hasn't been in contact for about a month.

DPMS 16" mid barrell
DD Omega X-Rail 12.0
DD A4 Upper Receiver assembly
DD Bolt Carrier
Armalite Charging Handle
DD gas block (clamp .750)
A2 flash hider
Spikes lower or RRA lower (still undecided.  Will depend on whichever is in stock)
RRA lower parts kit or DD lower parts kit (still undecided.  Again it will depend on availability at the time of purchase)
Magpul UBR
Troy battle sights
DD Railmount swivel
DD Rear receiver QD Swivel

Ok gentlemen, have at it.  As mentioned any comments and or changes would be appreciated.  Thanks lads

Also had a couple of questions.  Is there any advantage to different charging handles (ie. ergonomics, aesthetics, tactical etc.)?  

For the lpk I recommend the DD, I havent used an RRA but the DD one I bought was so good that I don't really plan on using any other lpk for future builds. Charging handle-wise, some charging handles (I think PRI gasbuster is one) redirect the gases from blowing in your face, which is good for suppressed shooting. The BCM gunfighter is designed to be able to be charged with one hand on the bolt catch side. I'd recommend the BCM, even if you were planning to run it suppressed one day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
100% agree with the BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter Charging Handle.  It's built to withstand how most people charge their weapons.  I love mine.  I can use the knife of my support hand to just rack it hard and fast without using my fingers.  Makes it way easier to shoot with gloves.  I would at least recommend giving them a hard look.

When I eventually get my suppressor, I will probably need to change to the PRI GasBuster.  I don't mind the little puff of gas in the face with a midlength gun, but an 11.5" SBR and a suppressor will probably not be very fun at all.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top