Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 3:54:02 PM EDT
Not sure if I am just not doing something correctly, or if there is an issue with the gasblock that came with the Wilson 24" varminter barrel I just got.  Got the upper put together except for that darn gasblock
http://home.earthlink.net/~tzvia/images/Rifles/upper1.jpg

Well, that gasblock will not fit.  Maybe I am not pounding the &#%@ out of it to get it on the barrel, but do I have to?  It does not fit over that last step:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tzvia/images/Rifles/gasblock.jpg

So if anyone here can help this poor girl out, I really don't want to mess anything up here.  Thanks for any help...

Perplexed. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the Califoricate issue isn't it?  It's supposed to be a single shot, no matter how many ground squirrels there are.

Actually I wish I knew the correct answer, but have not yet begun a build.  I am sure that the diamensions aren't what they should be, or some alteration is going to be required.  Good luck and good shooting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I would gradually remove a tiny bit of material from the ID of the gas block using some kind of grinding tool, like emery paper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Danner's got the right idea. I'd also test fit the gas tube before installing. Mine needed a bit of filing to get the finish down and allow the tube to be inserted.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, measured the outside barrel at the gasport and the inside diameter of the gasblock.  The barrel is .970 and the gasblock is .935.  Not even close.  So I think I will fire off a letter to Adco (where I got the barrel and block) to see what they think.  I don't think the block should be that much smaller...

Lois
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If the I.D. of the gas block & O.D. of the barrel are the same try putting the barrel in the freezer & warming the gas block up with a hair dryer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Problem was, the inside of the gasblock was .935 and the outside of the barrel at the gas port was .970.  Not even close.  But I got it on with alot of woman power hehttp://home.earthlink.net/~tzvia/images/Rifles/uppercomplete.jpg

At this point, I am waiting for my two lowers (I was much younger when I ordered them), you can see I got most everything else.  It's a long wait, first for stock, then the 12 day CA BF, then for the first day off after to get them since the store is not in L.A. county where I live.  3 weeks.  After all this, I have to lock that mag in place until it gets put on the AW list so I can declare it.  

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lois
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top