Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:37:39 PM EDT
Ok, guys, first post so please be gentle.
I've been lurking for a while, soaking up the abundant knowledge to be found here, and have decided that it's time to get some expert opinion on my plans for my first AR.  After receiving some advice from a dealer at a local show, I bought a Spike's Tactical stripped lower (he also had some RRA's and a DPMS, but said that other than finish, they were all pretty much the same, and I liked the spider rollmark on the Spike's - besides it was 10 bucks cheaper.)

Now I'm trying to decide on the rest of the rifle.  It will spend its time mostly on the range engaging paper and reactive targets out to 300 yds or so, maybe a bit more if the rifle (and operator) are up to the task.

The wife has graciously allowed me a budget of $700, so with this in mind, I am leaning towards a Del-Ton kit with the following components :

Flat top upper
20" Wilson 1:9 twist heavy barrel
YHM FF Quad Rail handguards
Phantom 5C2 FH
TangoDown Rail covers

I am also considering an Ace Skeleton stock and the RRA 2-stage trigger.

Does anyone have any suggestion/comments/criticisms on this combination ?
Is the RRA 2-stage worth the investment, or should I work with the stock trigger ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello and welcome to the site.

I can't help with your parts selection, as I don't feel I'm qualified to give advice on parts, but I would suggest that before you go and order all that stuff new from a dealer, that you search the EE (equipment exchange) first. You can save a decent ammount of money by buying something that is "used" (I've yet to get anything off there that did not look like it just came out of the box).

Good luck with your build and DON'T FORGET TO POST PICS!!

Gene
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top