Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2006 3:50:43 PM EDT
Hello,

I completed my first build and test fired it at the range and it functions well. The only issue I have is with the trigger. To say it is a heavy pull and gritty feel is an understatement. If you ever shot an SKS without any trigger work done, well this makes them look smooth.

I'd like to smooth and polish the trigger and hammer assembly but was hoping there might be some guides around that show exactly where to touch and where not to.

Also, how tight should the trigger fit into the receiver? Mine is wide enough that I had to file it a small amount to get it to go in, but I stopped when there was still a small amount of pressure between the trigger and the receiver walls. Do most AR triggers press against the receiver wall, or should I further file it so it is just a hair narrower than the receiver.

Thank you all for your advice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
wow. tell us more about the parts you're using.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I bought a complete kit from model1sales. Seems like a lot of parts needed tuning, but I like that part. Feels like the 80% AK builds I did instead of just putting parts together. It seems like the trigger should be heavy for the AR, but this is a bit too much. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it seems like it is 15-18 lbs. Purely subjective, but still needs work. Saw something about the 15 min trigger job. Will probably try that out. Also need to find parts with burrs on them and get that smoothed. Just need to be careful not to over do it :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmm, I'm glad I went with Stag parts.  my trigger dropped in like a champ.  no further grinding/polishing or turning was needed to build my lower.

sounds more like a bad trigger fit to the lower due to a poorly cast lower/or not enough cleanup to remove burrs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say it is typical of M1S parts. I bought a kit and same thing. After I ruined that trigger with copious amounts of polishing, I ordered a DPMS trigger, bent the hammer spring legs 15 degrees and now have a pretty nice pull.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Instead of telling how bad your parts are.....

Check to make sure the hammer, trigger and disconnector are free on the pins. Ream if necessary. Could be the lower that is too narrow, regardless narrow the trigger and hammer to get them smooth in operation. Then time your disconnector. Go to the JP rifles section and read on how to install and time there trigger will work the same for yours except you won't be able to control the sear engagement amount. The factory trigger has a quirk, or safety feature. As you pull the trigger the sear/hammer angles actually cause the hammer to cock or rotate a bit more. This is part of reason it is hard to get a 2 lb trigger on factory parts.

You could also have bad pin holes alignment, even seen it on colts. assemble the trigger with no lube, use a black majic marker on the nose of the trigger. Then dry fire a couple of times, catch the hammer with your thumb dont let it strike the frame. Now look at the wear pattern. If it hits evenly all the way across your done. If not, then you have to change angle on trigger to fit. If it is off, try different hammers and triggers to see if it is the part or frame. In my case it was the colt lower and I was putting in a JP trigger and had to rework the trigger. A real slow painful process, but I got good at putting those parts and on out fast.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top