Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/7/2003 6:44:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 6:47:34 AM EDT by justinwb]
Ok I am gettng ready to purchase parts to my first build, But I cant decide which one to get. And what is the difference between a m4 semi-auto and a car-15 semi auto? And can you tell me about any problems with 9mm and 5.56. And how much is shipping for a kit from j&t?

Thanks

Justin
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:40:08 AM EDT
the 9mm and 5.56 AR15's are just about totally different applications. The 5.56 (of 223 Rem, if you prefer) version has much more utility as a survival rifle or hunting tool being good out to 300 yards or as far as you can accurately shoot. The 9mm is a short range weapon only being pretty much worthless beyond 100 yards due to balistics (bullet drop and energy loss). I own several AR's all of them in 5.56 (223) and am only now concidering another caliber. I guess it all depends on what you want it for. My take on the M4 smi-auto is it is just a 16" barrel (with or without the flash-hider included, depends on how you want it!) with a fake telescopic stock (has to be pinned these days) and the stepped barrel. No big deal IMHO. I'm sure others will give you their take on this.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:29:03 AM EDT
If you have 2 or 3 other ARs, then build a 9mm...if you don't have any, I would certainly say build the .223 first. Shipping varies from place to place...try calling J&T to find out what they charge [:D] Around $15 would be my guess. The M4 has a distinct barrel profile, there are different handguards, and it will come with the faux flash hider, unless you're getting a preban. The CAR kit can come with either a lightweight or standard barrel config, with out without a muzzle brake, and the standard carbine handguards. (I don't see an M4 kit on the J&T website). If you want an M4, Adco has the RRA M4 upper, minus the tactical carry handle, for $411 delivered....that's not a kit, that's the complete upper...you'd have to buy the parts kit and whatever buttstock/extension combo you want. It might work out a little more espensive to do it that way, but I've got a RRA M4gery, and it's a very nice rifle. I'm sure you could scrounge a used CAR stock on the EE for less than retail....or you could save those $$ and get an ACE, or whatever. Here's my M4gery...note the barrel contour, compare it to the CAR: [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/M4_1.jpg[/img] I've got the ACE buttstock, which most people will tell you is much better than the fake telestock. In terms of what's throwing lead downrange, not much between the two...it probably boils down to comsmetics. My Model 1 CAR kit shoots just as good as the M4, from what I can see.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:50:29 PM EDT
If you own an AR, you're probably always going to have a 5.56/223 so I'd start with that one first. It's just a better all around rifle. I've personally never felt the need to have a pistol caliber AR, but that's just my personal opinion, since lots of guys do have one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:28:05 PM EDT
I want the rifle to just plink around with and to look EVIL! so can you guys help me find a mean lookin config.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:10:08 PM EDT
I know it's tough to make decisions, but you're gonna have to work within your budget, first of all. I don't know what your definition of "evil" is, so I can't help you there. There's enough pics posted of various stuff around for you to get an idea of what you want...then you have to figure out what you can AFFORD. If you're still debating what to get, you're not really ready to get anything yet, IMHO. Try to narrow it down...some of the stuff you might think is "evil" may cost as much as the kit you're starting with, like a SIR and an Aimpoint...that's about $750 right there, and in you get one of the milspec Aimpoints, it wont' even come with a mount. If my M4 isn't "evil" enough for you, you're gonna spend a LOT more money than what you think.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:12:02 PM EDT
Thats what i menat just a mean looking m4 carbine nothing expensive just a mean carbine! Justin
Top Top