Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:41:59 AM EDT
I have the written instructions on the barrel removal procedure but it is not going to well. The action is chucked in a vice in an action holding jig but I'm unable to break it loose. I have used significant pressure. I'm a little hesitant to try more, also the spring loaded forearm retention ring wants to push the wrench off the barrel nut. Yes, I could purchase the barrel already mounted to an upper but then I would'nt learn anything. And that's why I love these things, something new to learn. The AR is the "Erector Set" of this generation. Any help from the experienced on the forum would be much appreaciated.

ODG
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are using a factory action block (and not a homemade one), I don't see any chance of damaging anything. Assuming that the gas tube has been removed, just keep pressure on the barrel wrench so that it seats tight down into the delta ring assembly. The barrel nut loosens counter-clockwise if you are facing it from the muzzle end. You really have no choice but to put pressure on it until it loosens. When installing the new barrel, be sure to use moly lube on the barrel nut threads. It has the added benefit of making a future removal a lot easier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I weigh 250 pounds and sometimes have to jump up and put all my weight on the wrench to get the nut to loosen on a really old upper.  You wont hurt anything.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Which side of the barrel wrench is better to use the side with the three prongs or the other that covers 3/4  of the way around the barrel nut? Seems to me that with the three prong side the three prongs are longer and easier to get onto the nut, thus not having to push back the delta ring as much.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help. It was very tight. I weigh 200 and I had everything I could put on it and it still would not budge. Finally I gave it ( the wrench) three maximun hits with a large rubber hammer and that broke it loose.hanks
I used the side with the teeth. I thought the three prong side was for free float handguard, but don't know that for sure.ODG
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Which side of the barrel wrench is better to use the side with the three prongs or the other that covers 3/4  of the way around the barrel nut? Seems to me that with the three prong side the three prongs are longer and easier to get onto the nut, thus not having to push back the delta ring as much.

Personaly I think the other side is better, not the three prong side.  You get more contact with the other side.  With a very stuck barrel nut I would say the three prong side is even worse.  You could easily break the three little teeth if you use a ton of force and its really stuck.  The other side spreads out the force better.

I use a garden type glove on my left hand to push the wrench in as hard and as evenly as possible.  Then I use my right hand to pull up on the wrench or push down depending how you have your wrench.

But the priginal USGI wrench and the current ones have the three prings so I guess either works.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Use leverage and it comes off much easier.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top