Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 10:58:04 AM EDT
I would like to change my standard handguards to something with rails for mounting a light. Whats your opinion of these?                                                                                                                              
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I would take a look at the Yankee Hill machine . From what I understand the Samco ones are crap.

www.eaglefirearms.net/yankee_hill.htm
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Cross--thats kinda what I thought considering the price but wanted other opinions.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They are not very sturdy IMO.  With a VFG on them you can twist them pretty good.  My Tango Vertical Grip would not go on them either.  Plus side is they are very light weight.  You can save up a few more bucks and get a good set.  I like Bravo Company.  YHM is good too.  YHM seems to be the most "popular" that IC.  I agree, JUNK.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Total crap.  Go with YHM or MI.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the YHM from Bravo. I really like mine, and I will deal with Bravo again.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]

From what I understand the Samco ones are crap.

Other than wolfpak, who here has actually OWNED a set of "crap" Fobus?

I've owned DD9.0 & 12.0, YHM lightweight 9.0, and the Fobus M33.  

I still own and LOVE my DD.

I liked YHM, and will probably try a customizeable tube at some point for a strictly varmint rifle.

I also still own and use the Fobus M33.

The Fobus, I consider to be the ABSOLUTE BEST PLASTIC "handguards with rails" option there is.  I don't even consider them to be a "railed forend", and don't compare them to my others.  They are thicker, sturdier, and fit MUCH tighter than any plastic handguards I've ever owned.  As such, they are a better option than buying rails and installing them on your existing handguards.  I can't torque mine at all, and they are definitely NOT "crap".  But then I don't expect them to be aluminum railed forends, and I didn't buy them for that purpose.  They are replacement handguards for a Bushmaster Superlight build that I just wanted to put a VFG on.  My PRIMARY concern over all else on this rifle was WEIGHT.  At 8.6oz including barrel nut and Delta group and no need for any rail panels at all, they are lighter than even the DD 7.0 which although weighing 8.5oz, absolutely needs some type of rail panels to cover those "saw blades".  They are significantly narrower than any other option available, and they also only cost me $45 used on the EE.  My wife, son, and eventually daughter use this at the range, so I needed light weight and slim forend.  I can always move up if I want.  If I did, I'd buy DD.  

If you just want a light on your personal rifle, I really think the Fobus is fine...  If you need "duty" tough, or you can afford better, get better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've owned DD9.0 & 12.0, YHM lightweight 9.0, and the Fobus M33.

+1.  And thanks for the great comparison Onslaught.

All others, which FirstSamco handgaurd are you discussing?  There are 3 distinct series: M33, M44 and X6.  The X6 looks awesome but I haven't seen any feedback on it.

X6:

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The M33 work greatl for a light. Just do not try to mount opics on them
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

From what I understand the Samco ones are crap.

I currently own some M33s, and I have owned M44s in both carbine and rifle length.

While the M44s will work for mounting a light - I found using them with the a VFG would throw the zero off high and to one side.  Probably due to the fact the units are cut on the diagnal rather than the horizontal like every other unit.

I like the M33s.  If all you want is a single rail for a VFG and/or a light then its extreamly light and does the job.  One pair of $88 M33 handguards will outfit 2 carbines.  Their downside is the rails have the groove in the center and it makes mounting KAC type VFGs a pain (and the Tango Down needs to be modified to work with them).

I also have the YHM.  Much stronger system and you don't have the 'VFG Zero Shift' issue.  They cost about the same as the M44s, but weight about 50% more (about 3 oz ).  The YHM has 2 dings against it.  Again the YHM has the same slot down the middle as the M44, and they are very wide (one poster here compared them with rail covers to holding male elephant genitalia - but I wouldn't know anything about that..).  However the YHM system usually accepts the Tango Down VFG with little to no issues.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The handguards from Midwest Industries don't have the slot down the middle and don't cost much more.  I would definitely skip the Fobus crap.  It will cost you less in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had a Fobus grip, light mount and holster. They're cheap for a reason, they suck. The light mount wouldn't fit on any rail I owned, the grip was out of spec and the holster broke from normal/light range use. I will never waste my money on another Samco/Fobus product no matter how low the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top