Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2014 6:18:55 AM EDT
Hey everyone.  I'd like some help thinking things through.  Obviously, I was going for an 18" 6.5 Grendel with an entry level optic.  I have some nicer glass, but won't be shooting wicked far yet, and want to keep weight down.  The list is as follows.

Lilja – 6.5 grendel 19 “ , 319 (.950 to .750, or medium contour, right?).  475$
Maxim Firearms BCG 165$

YHM free float nut 40 (already have a YHM mid length rail)

Blemished spikes lower 80

Joe bob outfitters
Geissele G2S trigger 165
Spikes forged M4 upper 105

Midway USA
Stock: Ace Skeleton 9.9"  90
Spring 2 x MGI  26
Spare generic 3
Barrel Retaining Ring 13
Buffer tube:  DPMS Extension Buffer Tube 31
Colt H3 buffer 44
DPMS LPK 59

Parts-DPMS UPK mid-length free floatx $51.99
Charging Handle- medium 47.00

Optic: Weaver kaspa 2x10 tactical mil-dot 200
BUIS: Diamond 45 degree swing sight   219

total = apx 1815.

Thoughts?  Did I remember everything?  Is there anything you'd substitute?  Lilja has a 17" and 19" barrel.  Figured longer was better.

Thanks,

Publius

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see your gas block and gas tube listed.  AIM Surplus had midlength gas tubes cheap recently.

Trading Place Pawn is much cheaper on Geissele triggers, coupon code 10off helps there.

For just under 200, I'd look at the 10x Bushnell Elite at MidwayUSA.  The turrets are in 1/10th Mil, so they will match the Mil-Dot reticle.  Very useful when making adjustments.  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/bushnell-elite-3200-tactical-rifle-scope-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding  I use this scope on my AR and my BIL has one on a Remington 700 in .308, it works very well. At 15.5 oz, it's fairly light, with a lot of internal adjustment should you choose to stretch the rifle's legs.

How do you plan to mount a scope?  On my AR, I use a one piece mount from Aero Precision.  It mounts up solid.  Some will come along and suggest brands like LaRue, ADM or Bobro, but since you have stated that you want to keep weight down, check out Aero's offering, 2.98 oz.  It's OOS right now, but it's one to consider.  http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mount/ultralight-1-scope-mount.html
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure your going to need an H-3 buffer if your using an ACE stock.  I built a 20" 6.5 Grendel and used a JP adjustable gas block and bought a Spikes T-2 buffer and used a PSA mil spec Collapsable stock.  I ended up having to go back to the standard weight carbine H buffer but I was using a M-16 bolt carrier which is a little heavier.   My gas block is opened all most all the way even with the standard buffer.  I like the versatility of the adjustable gas block and I think it is worth the money on the 6.5 Grendel especially if your going to shoot hand loads with different bullet weights and powders.

The difference between 18" and 19" barrels is probably 20 to 30 FPS which is very insignificant but AA uses rifle length hand guards on their 19.5" 6.5 Grendel barrels.   I would probably buy an 18" barrel with mid length gas system and if you add a flash suppressor or muzzle brake your very close to the length of 19-20"  barrel.

I have two 6.5 Grendel's a 16" and 20".  I can shoot my 16" out to 800 yards/meters but further I have to use my mil dots as my scope is maxed out.  On my 20" I used a 20 MOA mount and I have enough adjustment way past 1000 meters.

Sounds like you'll end up with a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Surplus arms and ammo had LPK with the ssa trigger for around $205.00
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all.  I also forgot 'a muzzle brake (Which thanks to the SAFE Act I'm allowed to have, because the banned muzzle breaks, not brakes). I'm checking all that stuff out now.  Got bitten with the BR bug last night, stayed up all night looking at components.
Publius
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Vascar.  

Tube Set: found a replacement here

Adjustable Gas Block:
Low Profile Wilson Combat w gas tube here.  Some day I may get a longer rail system, so the low profile seemed better.  Would the JP adjustable picatinny fit under a Troy Alpha Rail, for instance?  Or would low profile be better?

Here a PRI that I could run with a YHM gas tube

Concerning the Barrel, Lilja appears to make a 17" and 19" ; 17" is lightweight; 19" 318 is light as well; and for .3 lbs more the 19" 319 seem stronger.  

Thoughts on that stuff?  Thanks again for the help.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks JRH308.  I found a SSA LPK from pegasus defense, all mil-spec, for 220.  Thoughts anyone?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Vascar.  

Tube Set: found a replacement here

Adjustable Gas Block:
Low Profile Wilson Combat w gas tube here.  Some day I may get a longer rail system, so the low profile seemed better.  Would the JP adjustable picatinny fit under a Troy Alpha Rail, for instance?  Or would low profile be better?

Here a PRI that I could run with a YHM gas tube

Concerning the Barrel, Lilja appears to make a 17" and 19" ; 17" is lightweight; 19" 318 is light as well; and for .3 lbs more the 19" 319 seem stronger.  

Thoughts on that stuff?  Thanks again for the help.

View Quote

Reference to the barrel length of 17" & 19" it boils down to how your going to use your rifle.  A lot of walking and stalking with little shooting lighter is usually better.  If your shooting more and carrying less the added barrel thickness adds rigidity and weight to control recoil.  Main thing is to know what length gas system to buy for the barrel you choose, mid length probably for the 17" and rifle length probably for the 19".   My top railed JP adjustable gas block will not fit under a hand guard.  

There are several threads on the 6.5 Grendel forum where people discuss what gas blocks which work with different hand guards and barrels.  I looked at the stock you mentioned from ACE, which uses a rifle length buffer tube.  With a 17" or 19" barrel and that stock I'd try a rifle length buffer and spring first especially if your using an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If you haven't already awkwardly jerked the trigger and blinked at the anticipation of recoil on the optic you originally thought, the Nikon P223 (don't let the name fool you, believe it or not, it's still a scope if you attach it to your 6.5 rifle, I swear) it's very, VERY decent.  Zeroed once on my 7.62x39, removed and replaced probably 5 times now, dropped it, had other guns in the safe bump it, it even hit some girl in the eye at the range (lol) and it's still on target.  I couldn't be happier for -$150.00
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I would avoid the DPMS LPK and get some quality lower parts.

I think the J&T LPK's are hard to beat for the money, but there isn't a huge difference between them and DD.  With LPK's, I look for finish quality, inspection codes, and proof marks, as well as surface hardness.

The Colt TDP calls for MPI on many of the lower parts, like the bolt catch, hammer, trigger, and specific grades of steel for the springs, then manufacturing processes.

Most companies ignore or don't care about the TDP to cut corners on the margins.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top